NAD Peavey Windsor Studio - i'm clearly dearranged

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1746

So I sell a Laney LC15R because I'd like a modelling amp for home use (ideally a flextone).

Walk into a shop then walk out with a Peavey Windsor Studio 20 watt 1x12 valve amp.

I really liked the sound of it and the built in power soak seems really useful.

It's been upgraded to a Jensen speaker (it says CR12 8Ohm but that means nothing to me)

So my plan of getting something a bit more home friendly has essentially failed but at least I've got a cool looking amp that makes a sound I like.

I might gig it this weekend..........

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A friend had a 100w version, was great !
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Spent an hour playing with the amp last night. REally happy with it - sure it's a one trick pony but it does that trick rather well.

The attenuator works well, it looks snazzy - very happy with it.

Once again if Marshall made this amp slapped a £500 pricetag on it I'm sure it would sell like hotcakes

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    I gigged the 100w Head version once - best Marshall I’ve ever heard.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    OK so after having the amp for 6 weeks or so i've ran ot of room and put it up for sale - it's clearly not going to sell so I've had an idea. and would appreciate some advice if possible.

Currently the amp has an EL34 in in it and sounds very marshally. Which is great but i want a bit more clean on tap.

You can change the power valves over and i've a spare 6L6GC knocking around. SO i'm thinking i could change the single power amp valve over and have a listen to to how it sounds.

Being only a single power valve amp do i need to do any bias checking or is it simply a case of unplug the valve and plug the new one in?
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    No bias checking to be done as its single ended class A.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks.
    Changed the valve over - it's like having a new and much better amp.
    Really chuffed. Now to remove it from the classifieds.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • These are dirty amps - you'll never get much of a clean sound out, but I remember some people modifying the preamp for different tones.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    These are dirty amps - you'll never get much of a clean sound out, but I remember some people modifying the preamp for different tones.
    Also partly because they're having a laugh if they're claiming 20W RMS (or even 15, really) from a single EL34. They'd have to be running it at well over the plate dissipation rating to get more than 12W, and even that assumes the bias is perfect to centre the waveform between cutoff and clipping - which is unlikely given that it's designed to take several different valve types so can't really be optimised for any one of them.

That doesn't mean it sounds *bad*, of course - just that the power rating claim is bogus and the amp is very unlikely to stay clean up to anything like it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein