Dr.Z Z-Lux GAS

What's Hot
OnparOnpar Frets: 417
I recently posted a discussion on here regarding the Dr.Z Maz 18 and I finally tried one out today and was impressed but not overwhelmed. The chap in the shop then brought through a Z-Lux head, which seemed seriously noisy when it started up BUT WOW the tone was incredible! just so juicy and gorgeous with drippy reverb. I must be more a 6V6/6L6 Fender type of guy. This is a significant amount of dosh for me so just trying to ensure I make the right choice.

I now have the problem that this is quite bit more than my budget, so I am basically looking for the kind folk at thefretboard to share your wisdom.

Any Z-Lux owners out there?

Any other amps that could get in the same ball-park but are slightly less expensive?

All you help and advice is very gratefully received.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The fan can be turned off 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    Don't know the Z Lux but if you can use a loud amp the Z Wreck has always been the best for my ears ( which are still ringing 3 years after playing one )
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 417
    Thanks Peachguitarsdotcom.

Didnt try the Z Wreck Dominic, it might be a bit too loud for me. The Z Lux can go down to 20 watts which is great for smaller venues.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    got a Lux, what do you want to know ?
    Great. Did you go for head and cab or combo?
    Just generally interested in what your thoughts are. Are you happy with it? Reliability? Etc
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    Head. 
    so I have other Dr Z amps, and this like the others is excellent build quality and reliable. It's visually very nice to look at (I have the black) and it's very easy to work with control wise. I have the EZG too, and to try to help you get a reference point, the EZG is an excellent blackface super reverb style amp, it's very very smooth, big sounding super reverb, this is basically the same concept, big sounding version of a fender amp, on this occasion the Princeton, so it's like a mega Princeton. I've ran it in a dual amp setup with the EZG, (one of the reasons I got the black is because the EZG is black and they look great together) and it really really works well.

The reverb is great on the Lux, it's not as wide a range  as the EZG (for a reference point) so don't expect full surf type effects, however it is a really rich warm reverb, just not wiht as "much" on tap (if desired) as it's super reverb brother. 

The trem on it is lovely, really really good, again like the reverb, not a huge width from slow to leslie type range think of it as a very full trem that gets towards the lesile type effect, but is lacking say %15 to get there, so you get an idea of where the range ends.

I don't find it noisy at all as an amp, but again when the trem circuit is engaged and you're not playing there is a little more noise than without it engaged.

I really think it's a super super amp.

I didn't pay £2K for mine, which is what they are new, when they came out they where roughly £1600 which I thought was a fair price for the amp / brand / reputation I'm not sure I'd pay £2k for one new if I had to buy another, but I may...I'd be torn.

Does that help ? anything specific you want to know ?
    That is extremely helpful, much appreciated. I will let you know if I think of anything else. I just need to make a decision now.