Where are all the JCM 800 2x12s?

clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
Am I doing something stupid on eBay searches or something?  

I literally can't remember the last time I saw a 1936 JCM 800 2x12 appear.  Plenty of 1936 cabs but not the 80s ones, with the plate that says "JCM 800 Lead Series", with G12T-75 speakers.

I've been looking for years.  Finally found one last year I bought from a fellow TFB member, which has only made me want another one.

Marshall must have made millions of the things?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    No, from what I remember at the time, they were relatively rare - 4x12"s were still a lot more popular for those who wanted heads and cabinets, and combos were more popular for those who wanted 2x12"s. The trend towards heads and smaller cabinets is a more recent thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited February 2018
    There is one in the gardiner houlgate catalogue for the next auction (March). No internal shots though:

https://www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/Catalogues/mi080318/lot0380.html

They may not necessarily have G12T-75's in JCM 800 gear. G12-65's or G12-80's is a possibility, and much better speakers anyway in my opinion.

I think some of the first 1936 cabs were a bit different to the later ones. Made from 100% ply and thinner like the old 2045 model cabs, with just a strap handle on the top. Those early ones are quite hard to come by.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
     They may not necessarily have G12T-75's in JCM 800 gear. G12-65's or G12-80's is a possibility, and much better speakers anyway in my opinion.

I think some of the first 1936 cabs were a bit different to the later ones. Made from 100% ply and thinner like the old 2045 model cabs, with just a strap handle on the top.
    That's correct - the early ones are essentially the same as the old 2045 cab, but with more modern speakers - first G12-65s, then briefly G12M-70s, then G12T-75s - I don't know when the transition to the deep cab happened in that sequence. The G12-80s would have been used in the 1937 bass version - but from what I remember it never went to the G12H-100s when the 1982 cabs did.

Even the early G12T-75s are quite different from the later ones - early ones have a vented magnet and don't sound as hollow and buzzy as the later plain-magnet ones (both UK and Chinese).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks both for the history and the link, very interesting.  And ICBM you've reminded me to swap the vented set of 75's I've got into the cab to give them a run for a while :)
  • Whereabouts are you ?? I know someone local to me that is seling one .
  • Whereabouts are you ?? I know someone local to me that is seling one .
    Cheers mate, I'm in Bristol, but even if that works I'm not ready with funds right now.  Let me know though...