I put my amp on my guitar stand!

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3553
That made a hell of a difference! Just getting it 4 inches off the floor made it sound way different. Not sure I like it! Any one use amp stands on their home amps?

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28636
    I did.

Now I have two amp stands and no amps.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3553
    That's an odd combination?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    It makes a big difference. For playing by myself I prefer the amp on the floor - it gives that deep extended low-end that makes the guitar sound 'big' even at fairly low volume - but in a band context I always prefer it raised up... it helps it sit better in the mix without fighting the bass amp, which should be tight down on the floor. It's surprising how much difference doing this makes to being able to hear everything clearly without having to EQ anything differently or having to adjust volumes.

It's also surprising how little height makes a difference - that 4" is plenty usually. I once had an old Marshall 4x12" that someone had fitted 6" tall trolley wheels to, and it sounded much better in a band situation than any other 4x12" I've used, which typically have 2-3" wheels or none.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    In my den I have to make the best use of space so I had made for me wooden plinths that I can slide my pedal boards and floor controllers under. All my amps and cabs go on top of these and are stacked. They do sound different when off the floor which is certainly better for gigging. I'll have to experiment at home to see if I prefer any of them on the floor.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    My L5 has a an angled stand built in. It is very good n
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited February 2018
    Hmmm...would I too sound better if I put myself off the floor?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Just a follow up to the 'on/off the floor' theme - tried four of my amps on the floor this morning - Laney Cub12R & VC30-210, Marshall DSL401 and Valvestate 8080.  And I can honestly say without fear of contraception that they ALL sound way, way better off the floor, with greater clarity, definition and brightness.  On the floor they just sound duller - not from a good 'more bottom end' perspective, but just duller/muddier. The difference is huge.  The plinths I mentioned earlier are 8" off the ground, and the Cub is angled (built in kick stand) and sits on top of my DSL401. The VC30-210 sits on the 1x12 extn cab which in turn sits on the 8080.  The AD120VTX sits on the 2x12 AD212 extn cab.

Interestingly, even the Cub with kickstand angled up on the floor makes a noticeable difference - not as good as where it is now, but better.  Now, I should clarify that the floor in my den is carpeted so that will 'suck' tone into the floor.  However, it is different on a wooden floor which will reflect much more of the sound - I remember this from having my AD120VTX on a wooden floor before my den was done and waiting for the new carpet to be fitted.

Here's a pic of their positions in my den - you can't see them but the VC12 is under the Valvetronix plinth and my Boss BCB60 pedal board is under the triple 8080/Laney VC30 stack - I simply pull them out when needed. The mini fx board shown in the pic (for the fx loop of my Valvetronix AD120VTX) goes under the DSL401/Laney Cub plinth:

Amps photo IMG_20170225_110442458_zpsvhwovwx5jpg
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)