Strymon sunset high frequency whistling?

What's Hot
hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
edited February 2018 in FX
Just wondered whether any other sunset owners get a high pitched whistle when the pedal is engaged? It’s not overpowering but it does stand out when the pedal is on and guitar is silent. Is this just because of the gain or have I got a faulty one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How are you powering it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • what settings / channel ; your signal path ? - will check later 

• hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
    edited February 2018
    MXR dc brick. Im powering a blue sky and an el cap with it as well but I added up the current and it doesn’t exceed the maximum.

Good point though, I haven’t tried it with its own power supply yet! Thanks.
  • hassleham said:
    MXR dc brick. Im powering a blue sky and an el cap with it as well but I added up the current and it doesn’t exceed the maximum.

Good point though, I haven’t tried it with its own power supply yet! Thanks.
    That might well be the reason. The DC Brick is a daisy chain in a box, basically, none of the inputs are isolated. All 3 Strymons are powerful digital pedals, so all will need isolated inputs to power them. 
  • I'd only ever recommend isolated power supplies...
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    edited February 2018
    Certainly does sound like a PSU issue, even some isolated PSU’s  can have issues with some pedals, my Strymon Flint and Timeline are fussy on which socket they use on my Decibel 11 psu
  • Anyone got an ISO brick to sell me then? :)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 2018
    hassleham said:
    Anyone got an ISO brick to sell me then?
    I've just put up sale in the classifieds my Voodoo Lab 4x4 @hassleham if that's suitable for your needs?

By the way I have a Strymon Sunset and it's quiet as a mouse using that with it
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • From their website - All Strymon pedals sold within North America (except OB.1) include a 9VDC 660mA power supply. OB.1 includes a 9Vbattery. We recommend a power supply that provides 9VDC(center negative) at a minimum of 250mA. Do not subject your Strymon pedal to any voltage above 9V.

I'v checked mine and no extraneous noise .. 
  • Do you have a Klon or Klone in your chain?
  • @hotpickups ;
    Thanks but I need an ISO brick or anything else that gives 8 x 9v outs and 2 18v outs. (Not sure if anything else does?!)

@jonnygreentrees nope, no klone! 

It must just be because i'm drawing near the limit of my DC brick.
  • You may have to do what I had to then. Get a Strymon Zuma. Expensive but brilliant 
  • The ISO brick has two 450mA outputs and two 300mA outputs, so it should be fine.
  • hassleham said:
    The ISO brick has two 450mA outputs and two 300mA outputs, so it should be fine.
    Must admit I haven't heard of one of them but good luck in finding one :)
  • It's because you don't have enough power. I had the same problem using my cioks.

Took the line 6 m5 out and all was well. It's a very fussy pedal power wise
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    hassleham said:
    @hotpickups ;
    Thanks but I need an ISO brick or anything else that gives 8 x 9v outs and 2 18v outs. (Not sure if anything else does?!)

@jonnygreentrees nope, no klone! 

It must just be because i'm drawing near the limit of my DC brick.
    Depends on how much current the 18V pedals draw, but for low current pedals (drives etc.) Diago do a voltage doubler cable that will allow 18V from a single output.  I think that's ok up to 30mA.

If you need 18V at more than 30mA you can get voltage doubler cables that will use two outputs of an isolated supply and put them in series to get 18V.  Don't try one of those cables on a non-isolated supply though.

If you do get something that only has 6 or 8 outputs, you can put 3 or 4 pedals together on a daisy chain cable.  That's basically what the DC brick does internally anyway.  I've got 11 pedals running off of a Decibel 11 Hot Stone Deluxe that has 8 outputs.

I had problems with the older Dunlop version of the DC brick and high pitched noises in the past.  That's almost certainly your problem.