Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

GigRig Power

What's Hot

Comments

• GadgetGadget Frets: 900
    Does that not seem a little.... batshit?
    Nope... it seems a lot batshit :)

Seriously though, double the cash of other at least equally high-quality solutions.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2361
    I power my big board (10 pedals) off a Generator via 2 Distributors, and my tiny board off a battery pack via 1 Distributor. If I needed unusual power for a pedal I would probably make my own, based on one of the commonly available 'bucking' chips.

The GigRig stuff is fairly pricey, but my Generator has worked flawlessly for about 7 years now.

Full disclosure: I know the GigRig guys - Dan Steinhardt to say hello to, Dave Mapleston from a jam we both used to attend.
  • I’d have been tempted even up to about £400... but this just seems ludicrous 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 619
    Sounds like the Strymon supply is the way to go if you have a lot of high current pedals..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What is wrong with the Cioks setup you currently have?
    What is wrong with the Cioks setup you currently have?
    Nothing it turns out - though I thought I had noise which started the investigation! 
    I’d have been tempted even up to about £400... but this just seems ludicrous 
    Yeah, I'd perhaps pay a modest percentage more for the customisation possibilities, but double the price with no AC...

I just don't think their pricing is keeping pace with newer product releases.
  • Sorry, £764.02. Much better. 
    Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5001
    edited February 2018
    I originally had The GigRig stuff years ago, I enjoyed the flexibility of it at the time especially the custom cable lengths, but as I expanded my collection (Timeline), and wanted 18v the costs added up as it wasn't as straightforward as adding a new power cable, I had to buy a Timelord and Doubler etc.. This was also before the Isolator came out too and I was having a few noise issues as well to be honest. I sold it and bought a Cioks, slightly heavier but less noisy and more flexible to be honest, especially with not needing special adaptors for the Timeline and the 12/18v outs I needed. If I bought it all now it would be over £350, probably over £400 if I wanted more than 1 Isolator. 

Horses for courses I suppose, however the Cioks stuff is great and the new DC Link Series looks superb, as does the Zuma. If I had my time over again I wouldn't have bothered tbh, although I didn't lose too much money I suppose. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Gadget said:
    I’d have been tempted even up to about £400... but this just seems ludicrous 
    Yeah, I'd perhaps pay a modest percentage more for the customisation possibilities, but double the price with no AC...

I just don't think their pricing is keeping pace with newer product releases.

that last point is something I definitely agree with, I wish them no ill and they're obviously doing ok - but somehow it all seems a bit...

I suspect a little of it is down to things like the Greg Howe video they released, there's a very nice market in taking not that tech-literate professionals and making them a really nice board. Which is very quiet and nicely laid out - and no criticism, that's a real skill.

That market is not actually going to be that aware of other options (because if they were they would have done it already) and are used to paying for that sort of service.

Also remember the generator auto switches for voltage wherever you are in the world - not a big thing for me but is for some people

• The only negatives I really have on my set up (a cioks/Eventide powerfactor 2 linked to a Schizophrenic) is that it’s pretty heavy with the two units, and I can’t add further outlets. Under-board space is now at a premium owing to other things I have there (3 midi boxes) so the gigrig stuff appealed for these reasons... as do the custom cable lengths. But again, nearly £800. 
    peteri said:

Also remember the generator auto switches for voltage wherever you are in the world...

As does the Zuma.
    edited February 2018
    The only negatives I really have on my set up (a cioks/Eventide powerfactor 2 linked to a Schizophrenic) is that it’s pretty heavy with the two units, and I can’t add further outlets. Under-board space is now at a premium owing to other things I have there (3 midi boxes) so the gigrig stuff appealed for these reasons... as do the custom cable lengths. But again, nearly £800. 
    Have you checked out the new Cioks DC-Link series? I have no idea if it suits your needs but could work out better maybe?

Edit: Ignore me I just realised the Eventide Powerfactor 2 is a DC Link model.............. durrrrrrrrrrr

• Boromedic said:
    The only negatives I really have on my set up (a cioks/Eventide powerfactor 2 linked to a Schizophrenic) is that it’s pretty heavy with the two units, and I can’t add further outlets. Under-board space is now at a premium owing to other things I have there (3 midi boxes) so the gigrig stuff appealed for these reasons... as do the custom cable lengths. But again, nearly £800. 
    Have you checked out the new Cioks DC-Link series? I have no idea if it suits your needs but could work out better maybe?
    It doesn’t sadly - my board is pretty fussy 
  • Zuma plus extra is SO light and small !
  • I like the gigrig stuff, it is silent, it works well,
    but i have no idea why people accept the plastic build quality on what is, at least priced as a premium, professional product. I know it’s not meant to be stepped on or anything but I for one have had trouble with the little plastic tabs and one of my distributors doesn’t exactly feel sturdy

another question is this.
    the gigrig isolators are 9 volt in to generate the isolated outs. As are the timelord supanova etc. I’ve not heard anyone say that these outputs are not ‘properly’ isolated. They work in the same way the cheapo chinese ones work such as the vitoos iso4plus. Except that the vitoos is all metal and was £30 for 8 x 500ma isolated outs.

I have both and can say there is no noise difference in noise, clarity or anything else on my setup that has various digital pedals (mooer ocean machine, line 6 m5 and a zoom ms50g).

i will still use an isolator on one of the vitoos outputs, like I said I do like the products but even my modest setup would cost circa £340 to fully gigrig up which I’m afraid to say I could never justify when I’m doing the same with solid build quality for £30 plus one isolator.

Yeah I was checking out the Zuma earlier actually, shame that it doesn't come with the mounting brackets bit of a swizz that. Bloody Strymon.....

• I have it and like - makes adding/changing easy.  My main beef is some pedals are noisy based on proximity to the Generator. Compressors for example have a varying noise based on where it is under my board...not ideal

That's completely normal. That german chap did a video with the Cioks guy to demonstrate. 
    Thanks - will have a watch and stand corrected on it.
  • The only negatives I really have on my set up (a cioks/Eventide powerfactor 2 linked to a Schizophrenic) is that it’s pretty heavy with the two units, and I can’t add further outlets. Under-board space is now at a premium owing to other things I have there (3 midi boxes) so the gigrig stuff appealed for these reasons... as do the custom cable lengths. But again, nearly £800. 
    get a helix :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.