Amp tilt back legs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I don't use a combo live but at home for teaching I use a DSL5c amp which I've been looking for something to raise the height. I found this on Amazon and planning on getting it to try out, only £5:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    edited March 2018
    I went from a wobbly gator type stand to a home made lean back stand for my amps, but I was not able to engineer out the "faff" factor to allow for quick set ups - i'd imagine the standback would be the quickest of all to set up.

If you are happy to drill into your amp then the rocker amp stand looks pretty good - all be it a permanent fixture to your amp?
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3684
    I don't use a combo live but at home for teaching I use a DSL5c amp which I've been looking for something to raise the height. I found this on Amazon and planning on getting it to try out, only £5:

Oh, I have a few in the shed, they are steps for toddlers to reach the sink in the bathroom, I must give it a try!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Actually got a different one but it kinda does the job alright til I figure out something better:

• FaffFaff Frets: 29
    edited March 2018
    Ok so the votes are in. You lot have put me right off tilt back legs!!  That's ok.  
    I may have had the simple solution all along.  I just take off the rear casters and get an angle of about 20 degrees. They are easy top pop off and back on. Result!!

Guitarist for...  HEY PIXIES - The UK's most gigantic PIXIES tribute band
    http://www.facebook.com/heypixies
    "We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."

• MrAlarmMrAlarm Frets: 4
    Funny how many guitarists do not like to hear their amp!
    Most of my gigs has so tiny stage that the tilt back legs are the only ticket. I have 3-4 small combos and ALL of them have tilt back legs!
    Yes, the bass hum is a problem in some stages. But there is always a snake in the paradise.
    I think that maybe Fender has patented those legs so stricktly that nobody else can make them. 
    Good luck in better hearing!
  • A block of wood under the front edge does the trick for me, and you can carry it inside the amp. At home the amp is up on a sideboard. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    MrAlarm said:
    Funny how many guitarists do not like to hear their amp!
    Most of my gigs has so tiny stage that the tilt back legs are the only ticket. I have 3-4 small combos and ALL of them have tilt back legs!
    Yes, the bass hum is a problem in some stages. But there is always a snake in the paradise.
    I think that maybe Fender has patented those legs so stricktly that nobody else can make them. 
    Good luck in better hearing!
    I like to hear the amp - I just don’t like to have the speaker pointing directly at my ears. That always sounds very harsh and bright at close range, so the tendency is to dial the amp in too dark and play too quietly. Even if it’s mic’ed, it tends to be too dull in the mix.

On the floor pointing at your knees is worse, that way you can’t hear it and it sounds dull, so you tend to dial it in far too bright and loud. If you’re on a raised stage the unfortunate audience in front of it then get the Beam Of Death.

I found that having it raised up so the speaker is at about waist height and not tilted gives the best correlation between what you hear in front of the amp and what it sounds like out in the room. It’s best not to point the amp straight out front even then, if that’s at head height for the audience. I usually try to set it so it’s pointing about at the opposite front corner of the stage... although if it’s then too loud for the singer it may have to be the other way.

This is all part of the reason I liked to use a flightcase for the amp, when I was using a fairly big amp - not just to protect it but because it’s always the perfect height and size to put the amp on, and has wheels so it’s easy to move around.

For a small amp a bar stool is ideal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom