Weird drinks of the elderly

What's Hot

Comments

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Tea made with evaporated milk. 
    *boak*
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    *boak*
    There was a lot of evaporated milk in my childhood. Tinned fruit and evaporated milk after Sunday night tea. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Foster said:
    @Foster Both Bourbon AND Sour Mash taste disgusting compared to a Single Malt.
    You can have a wisdom for that! Though I wouldn't mix a single malt with anything
    Neither would I. Have a wisdom yourself, good Sir!

I use a "decent" blend for Hot Toddy or any other kind of mixing.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5009
    I had a girlfriend who liked to drink hot orange squash.

When I was a kid, some folks used to have a cup of Bovril.

Also when I was a kid, I convinced myself that Pepsi Cola was Coca Cola with peppermint, so I added a couple of extra-stong mints to a glass of Coke. It was horrible!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    Hot Ribena was a staple when I was a kid
    comes out again during colds

pint of Light and Bitter is feasible these days 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    rlw said:
    Sporky said:
    ... And put down the sink?
    Drink it - I used to love it and still do <3
    Then more power to you.

My mum's tastes are pretty straightforward compared to some here. Advocaat or brandy & ginger are the limits of her deviancy.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    *boak*
    There was a lot of evaporated milk in my childhood. Tinned fruit and evaporated milk after Sunday night tea. 
    and occasionally - Condensed Milk would materialise on the table - - usually in that long stretch after Christmas when shops could be closed for a whole week!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My Granny used to drink Benylin & Rum when she was feeling a bit unwell. And sometimes at other times...

I'm pretty sure it says on the Benylin bottle that alcohol should be avoided, but that didn't seem to deter her!

She lived to 92. One night after a friend's party she went to bed with some of her favourite medicine and never woke up again. Which seems as good a way to go as any, to me.

I can imagine that would make you pretty chilled out. If you get the right cough syrup you are getting diphenhydramine (a sedating antihistamine) and dextromethorphan (a dissociative which can cause similar effects to ketamine if you take enough).

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    rlw said:
    57Deluxe said:

Pub drinks you will never hear asked for at the Pub these days:

Pink Gin
    Port and Lemon
    Pint of Mild and Bitter
    A Mackesons
    A Babycham

That's because Mild is very rare. I've drunk it and liked it on the few opportunities I've had. tbh I wouldn't adulterate Port with Lemon
    You could add Brown and Mild - and with good reason as it's horrible

My mother's cure for all my stomach and cold ailments was egg and milk and brandy - break an egg into a glass of cold milk, stir very well, then add a tablespoon of brandy....................

Brandy Egg Nog - used to drink a few of them when younger. Liquidised heaven. Parents wondered why they never had any Brandy left for when guests turned up.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    SRich said:
    randella said:
    Favourite tipple of the elderly (or, at least, viewed as such) that’s worth a bash: scotch and dry. As in dry ginger ale. Amazing.
    JD + Dry Ginger Ale is my go to.....and if that puts me in the 'elders dept' then so be it.
    @SRich - I love it too, was amused when a load of my friends said it’s what their grannies drink. 

Stuff ‘em, their loss. It’s a fantastic drink. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11429
    I've just had a flashback - cherry brandy and advocaat. Slightly fruity, alcoholic, and with the look of a glass of clinical waste.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    scrumhalf said:
    I've just had a flashback - cherry brandy and advocaat. Slightly fruity, alcoholic, and with the look of a glass of clinical waste.
    My flashback last week was seeing a set of Babycham glasses in an antique shop. Back in the 70s if you asked a girl what she was drinking and she said “brandy and babycham” you knew you were in for an expensive evening. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1884
    My Nan used to drink a mug of the cabbage water with her Sunday roast.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    boogieman said:
    scrumhalf said:
    My flashback last week was seeing a set of Babycham glasses in an antique shop. Back in the 70s if you asked a girl what she was drinking and she said “brandy and babycham” you knew you were in for an expensive evening. 
    The paragraph fell in just the right place that I wondered how you were going to end that sentence! 

I think Babycham is perry which is a drink that's come back in vogue ( known as pear cider because of the worry people can't cope with an extra word in their vocabulary ) a bit so maybe we are due a revival. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4379
    Crème de Menthe, although I've never actually seen anyone drink the stuff.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    scrumhalf said:
    The paragraph fell in just the right place that I wondered how you were going to end that sentence! 

I think Babycham is perry which is a drink that's come back in vogue ( known as pear cider because of the worry people can't cope with an extra word in their vocabulary ) a bit so maybe we are due a revival. 
    Perry, blimey now there’s a word I haven’t heard for a while. Reminds me I used to love Peardrax when I was a kid, there was Cydrax too. I think they were non alcoholic ciders, I remember I felt very grown up and sophisticated drinking it. 

And yeah, sadly I never got anything out of a girl who drank brandy and babycham, except an empty wallet. I would’ve preferred an empty sack, but hey ho.  :'(
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    boogieman said:
    scrumhalf said:
    The mistake was saying "What are you drinking?". It invites the "Oh, thanks, brandy and babycham please"  response. If you're curious and want to establish communication, just say "What's that in there?". When she says "It's brandy and babycham" you just say "oh, right" and pass down the pub.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Another way to view this might be the weird drinks of the yoof. I mean £4+ for coffee that you take out anyway! Blue alcohol! Alcopops, Bottles of water that are over £1 (the stuff is available on tap). Fizzy soda (what wrong with good old squash cordial). two ways to view every situation (possibly more). non returnable plastic bottles.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    scrumhalf said:
    The mistake was saying "What are you drinking?". It invites the "Oh, thanks, brandy and babycham please"  response. If you're curious and want to establish communication, just say "What's that in there?". When she says "It's brandy and babycham" you just say "oh, right" and pass down the pub.
    Well it all depended on what the young lady looked like mate. Some looked worth the investment of an expensive drink, if I thought I was in with a chance. (Not that it ever worked, I was useless at pulling the ladies as a yoof ). 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    edited March 2018

I worked in a local boozer in the 80s. Here's some "period" drinks from memory:

Pint of Golden - lager & bitter

Pint of Mixed - bitter & mild

Black n Tan - Guinness & Bitter

Light Ale - why?

Diesel/Green Monster - 1/2 stella, 1/2 cider, shot of Blue Bols. Green huey almost a certain after 4 of those.

Trophy Bitter, Castle Eden ale for the connoizer

Low C - bottled ale that was apparently low in carbs, though memorably one chap thought he'd been drinking alcohol free beer all night

Diat Pils

McEwan's Export, McEwan's Lager

Dry Martini, Sweet Martini, Campari - all like paint stripper

Midori - melon flavoured filth

Brandy & Babycham

Whisky hot water & sugar, can't remember what it was known as.

Barley wine (Gold Label), usually sold in small cans or bottles. Sometimes mixed with half a bitter, always horrible

Pernod & Black

Gin & Orange

Lager & Black or Orange. No need for that.

Lager Top - "just to take the edge off please"

Guinness & Black - nonsense

Black Velvet - Guinness & champagne

Poor Mans black velvet - 1/2 Guinness, half a cider. Cider in first, then whip it to remove the gas, learnt that one quickly after a lot of foam.

Shandy - again, why? Why spoil the beer with lemonade, just have a half a beer instead eh?

Holsten Pils, Lowenbrau - rank

Ricard - an even crapper version of Pernod

Southern Comfort and Lemonade. Again, a sure route to huey central

Molson Light

Moosehead

Boston steam beer

Boddington's

Caffrey's - banging head guaranteed

Harp Lager - it most definitely never stayed sharp to the bottom of the glass.

Ind Coope Pale Ale. All I vaguely remember of that, was that it was watery crap.