Putting castors on a flight case

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
I've got my guitar rack in a flight case, it rarely moves, and when it does it normally moves with people helping to move it quickly and easy with the handles, it's only 8u, so it's not huge, but obviously 8u flight case, pedals, power supplies, shelves, it all adds up, and with retrospect I should have had the flight case made on wheels on day one.

I have two options as I see it 

1.) buy new flight case with castors on and transplant into new case - I don't want to do this as (a) expense (b) the tech who built it for me did a work of art and I wouldn't do it justice swapping it out into a new case
2.) put castors on the case fully loaded - I don't know if this is possible / realisitic

there is easy option 3 of course which is a thick plank of wood with wheels on and put the case on it, but then thats "another thing" to move rather than just be part of the setup.

Any advice on this ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You could contact a flightcase company and ask them to put some castors on for you.  NSP Cases build the cases for my boards, and they're top quality.
    Alternatively, you can buy the castors and fit them yourself.  Either direct to the base of the case with T nuts, or to a castor board and then mount the board using T nuts.

Or there are smaller castors that only require screws, rather than bolts.  But I wouldn't risk using those as they're weaker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    As richalderandash said - I would mount the castors to a piece of 3/4” ply just slightly smaller than the case using bolts and T-nuts (probably M6), then secure that to the case with maybe four M8s and T-nuts - you’ll need to take the bottom rack unit out to drill through and fit the T-nuts, but probably no more than that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Two options, as the castors are only for moving it,and I assume it’s a heavy duty flight case fit the castors to the lid or back cover.

2nd option a dolly board, got one from Aldi 4casotrs on a tray basically and less than 20quid even used it to move furniture when not ratchet strapped to an amp rack
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Two options, as the castors are only for moving it,and I assume it’s a heavy duty flight case fit the castors to the lid or back cover.

2nd option a dolly board, got one from Aldi 4casotrs on a tray basically and less than 20quid even used it to move furniture when not ratchet strapped to an amp rack
    +1.     Fitting the wheels to the rear lid means you can stack the rack fine when it’s removed but the easy option is to use a trolley or board with wheels on them you can use it for other gear as well.