East End in Colour - Found Photos

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
There is an awful lot more sky in these photos than there is nowadays. 

Unseen photos of East End London in glorious colour - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-43141667
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15861
    nice one hadn't seem them so thanks. Will show those to my mum.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11429
    There are many more like this on the Flaskbak website.

I love old photos. Paintings don't really do much for me but I can sit and look at old photos for hours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    Very cool, !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    Most whee I grew up and started school in early 70s; great seeing them in colour

i saw these last week, and since then found some local history Facebook pages which are great for showing to my daughter about how we used to live

Particularly laughed at Aldgate and the lack of traffic :) certain,y not like that now

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    Cool.

Surprised to see sailing ships in the docks in the 70s. 
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    i'm not from london, but what struck me is how 'normal' my memories seem!. i left school in '77, and seeing those pics of how this country looked in the mid/late 70's, i really don't remember it looking as drab as that. the terrible colours of paint, the clothing worn by the folk in the pics, the boxy, tinny look to the cars. i grew up in and around manchester, and it just shows that things eveolve all the time, and you only notice when suddenly thrust back a few decades like this. it is a different world.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4068
    edited March 2018
    Cheers for the heads up on this.
    Just ordered a copy of the book.
    Looking at those pictures has brought back some powerful memories.

Just out of curiosity... does anyone remember Scarf Studios in the East End?
    I used to rehearse there around 1978 I guess.   I think The Slits recorded an album there.
    However I can't remember where it was and my best guess is that the street has been demolished.
    Seeing that photo of Belthaven St reminded me of this.  I don't think that's where Scarf was but maybe it sounded like that?

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    I have a problem with period TV/ film. Things set in the 60s/70s/ 80s where everything is of that era ( the clothes, the lamps, the carpets,etc). But nothing really did, I had relatives who still got demob suits out for big occasions at least into the 70s. My mother still has the living room carpet that was fitted in 1966. 

Where, was I, oh yes...I don't know the East End at all but I like those pictures. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    edited March 2018
    Love the look of the old signs especially the black and white logo in the first picture.

52 Fruit Importers Percy Dalton London Ltd.

• My Grandparents used to live in the block of flats to the left of the Stifford Estate picture, I spent a lot of my childhood there. Jah Wobble used to live in the flats with the scaffolding round to the right edge of the pic.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    cacophony said:
    i'm not from london, but what struck me is how 'normal' my memories seem!. i left school in '77, and seeing those pics of how this country looked in the mid/late 70's, i really don't remember it looking as drab as that. the terrible colours of paint, the clothing worn by the folk in the pics, the boxy, tinny look to the cars. i grew up in and around manchester, and it just shows that things eveolve all the time, and you only notice when suddenly thrust back a few decades like this. it is a different world.
    Yeah it really wasn’t a drab era. Those photos actually look a lot earlier than the 70s to me, I wonder if the dates are verified? My mum and dad certainly weren’t trendy in any respect or into interior design so it must have been fairly normal at the time but we had yellow and black carpet, orange doors (covered in hardboard, natch) orange curtains and yellow wallpaper.

Or maybe it was just my dad’s crack habit? 
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 395
    Really enjoyed those.