MOT tomorrow.....pray with me!

What's Hot
LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1129
edited March 2018 in Off Topic
My Fiesta I bought in August is due for its MOT test tomorrow morning.

On Friday as I was checking my tyres I discovered the back driver side tyre was 8 psi? Then I saw there was nail stuck in there so had to change it along with the other one as it was near legal tread limit. £100 of money I didn't want to part with down the drain.

As they check the windscreen and washer fluid levels I'm concerned they could fail me on the nozzles not cleanly dispensing fluid, you have to pull the switch towards you as you push the button in on the right stalk for it to dispense. Its either the pump dispenser or some other mechanism. If it does dispense (and it does if you pull the button inwards) but the tester doesn't know this they might fail it? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    Gotcha! I'll pray for a pump dispensation then.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Confused...!
    The windscreen washer jets will (or should, at least) work on the wiper stalk, not the indicator stalk... and presumably the MOT tester will know this. 
  • Yes the switch on the right of the wheel. You do have to give it a wiggle towards you for it to work though.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    For years and years, it always seemed the bloody MOT fell due in middle of the coldest spell on earth and you'd be standing around in roughest of old dives while your floor rusted-out hulk was poked and prodded endlessly, cos these places were the more likely places to give you a pass...

So glad mine is now July at a time and place where I can go and sit by the village pond and feed the ducks and pick wild hedgerow flowers on my saunter back to the MOT station after the hour is up...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

So just to repeat the right stalk on the wheel has a button you push in to operate the front set of washers. If you press it in and sort of wiggle it and pull it towards you it does work. Pulling the stalk back will operate the back washers. So I'm only hoping it doesn't fail if the tester doesn't know you have to wriggle it.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971

On Friday as I was checking my tyres I discovered the back driver side tyre was 8 psi? Then I saw there was nail stuck in there so had to change it along with the other one as it was near legal tread limit. £100 of money I didn't want to part with down the drain.

Or, another way of looking at it, £100 seems like a small price to pay to keep the car safely on the road, and you (and anyone you might hit) out of hospital ...

I *never* compromise on tyres and don't understand why anyone would.  4 relatively small patches of rubber are all that keep you (a) on the road, (b) able to travel in more or less the direction you want, (c) able to stop effectively when necessary, (d) alive.

No idea about the washer nozzles though ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Well I was hoping just to pay for one tyre as when I bought it in August the dealership put a new one on at the back. Just with that bastard nail in I had to pay for 2. But good job I spotted it when I did otherwise tomorrow would have been a disaster.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    TTony said:

Or, another way of looking at it, £100 seems like a small price to pay to keep the car safely on the road, and you (and anyone you might hit) out of hospital ...

I *never* compromise on tyres and don't understand why anyone would.  4 relatively small patches of rubber are all that keep you (a) on the road, (b) able to travel in more or less the direction you want, (c) able to stop effectively when necessary, (d) alive.

No idea about the washer nozzles though ...

wis'd

I had to replace all 4 tires on my car 2 weeks before Xmas (which was financially inconvenient)  but i was bloody glad of the extra grip when the snow hit a week later .

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    “Needs a new chassis mate”
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    Where's Sambostar when you need him? B)
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    tone1 said:
    Where's Sambostar when you need him? B)
    The pub?
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • Prayers answered...it passed with no advisories! Had to whack a couple of new bulbs in before but now I have another year's full MOT.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Good for you. I love it when that happens. :)

Mine has a small collection of advisories, two of which have appeared annually for the last six years. 

It’s due again in two months. I’m familiarising myself with the Autotrader website, as I’m not sure any amount of praying is magically going to replace both front trailing arms, the flywheel (possibly clutch), the auxiliary belt and tensioner along with (I suspect) the power steering pump, the rear hatch seal, and whatever’s making that latest mysterious rattle. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's still a few issues with the boot open button and the locking system but not urgent items to attend to.

I've always had real bad luck with cars and repairs, the last 2 I had started to become a regular occurrence fixing them so much my neighbours starting taking the piss how often the mechanic was round.
  • MickMick Frets: 98

Congrats on the pass.   It could have been worse,  if your MOT is after the 20th May https://www.arnoldclark.com/newsroom/2165-the-mot-test-is-changing-here-s-what-you-need-to-know

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    I always used to take my old one to my garage and ask 'how much to get it through' with the intention to scrap it if it was too much. Decent chaps who did right by me for many years. I now have  much newer one that won't need an MOT of another year and abit, but I will take it there even though I've got to take it to a VW dealer for the main service.
  • Mick said:

Congrats on the pass.   It could have been worse,  if your MOT is after the 20th May https://www.arnoldclark.com/newsroom/2165-the-mot-test-is-changing-here-s-what-you-need-to-know

Cheers, really relieved it went through ok.

Shit that looks so confusing but its probably due to the fact I've grown used to a certain way of testing.