Water shortages in London

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
edited March 2018 in Off Topic
Thames Water are facing some challenges after the thawing of the recent snow and ice.

This qoute from someone on Twitter made me laff:

There’s no water in north London and Thames water is handing out bottles like it’s a 3rd world country”

I note in the pic in this story (scroll down) that the shelves are empty of bottled water but there appears to be plentiful supply of pork scratchings and Coca Cola.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43279633

o 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    plenty in the Thames
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    London water tastes like pork scratchings anyway.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Most of the pipework is Victorian ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Most of the residents don't eat pork.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Shouldn’t take the piss out of it......but I wish somebody would. 

Ba dum, tish 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    All I want to know is whether or not I'll be able to have a shower tomorrow.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    No water here in SW16 since Saturday evening.  It came on for a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon - very low pressure - but then died again.

Guess I'll have to work at home tomorrow....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I wonder how much money Thames Water shareholders have taken out in dividends since privatisation... and whether that would have paid for upgrading the network so this didn't happen.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I wonder how much money Thames Water shareholders have taken out in dividends since privatisation... and whether that would have paid for upgrading the network so this didn't happen.
    I think you're right but in mitigation the task of fixing London's waterworks would be so astronomically expensive (considering the inevitable traffic disruption) that nobody wants to attempt it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

I think you're right but in mitigation the task of fixing London's waterworks would be so astronomically expensive (considering the inevitable traffic disruption) that nobody wants to attempt it.
    That's not mitigation - it's further proof that it's a job for government. Privatising water was pure political dogma, and simply put public money into the pockets of private speculators.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I agree privatisation was political dogma and IMO quite the wrong thing to do. But even for a government (especially our shower of incompetents) it's a mahoosive task. I wouldn't want the job. At least not without a huge and mean army to enforce my way of doing it!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    Our Streatham office is closed today because of it but our King's Cross one (new development) is open.

This is just nuts!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Water Companies usually allocate a certain amount of money for mains renewals where the older/weaker mains are replaced as a matter of course. However the freezing and thawing can make the ground expand/contract and shift which can damage the pipework which is buried in it. It doesnt have to be an old pipe either, ductile iron pipes are used for new mains but these can still be damaged by the shifting ground. HPPE pipe is a bit more resilient but can still suffer.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    now you wish you had shoveled all that snow into buckets 'just in case'!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    It would be useful for flushing the toilet, that's for sure....
    It's starting to get just a little annoying now.

If the answer is "we have no fucking clue when your water will be back", don't say "in a few hours" or "around 5pm".
  • danodano Frets: 1610
    More joys of living in an over populated city ;)
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    ICBM said:
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

That's not mitigation - it's further proof that it's a job for government. Privatising water was pure political dogma, and simply put public money into the pockets of private speculators.
    And pension firms. 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    Philly_Q said:
    57Deluxe said:
    It's what I've been doing since Wednesday.  It's quite eye opening as too just how much water flushing the toilet actually uses.
    RedRabbit said:
    Philly_Q said:
    57Deluxe said:
    It's what I've been doing since Wednesday.  It's quite eye opening as too just how much water flushing the toilet actually uses.
    Sadly all our snow had melted before the water went off on Saturday, apart from a few little scraps here and there.

Since it would take me the best part of an hour to get to the bottled water collection point and back - assuming there's even any water there - my toilet remains rather unsavoury....