McDonalds flat white

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
edited March 2018 in Off Topic tFB Trader
Is it just me or don't McDonald's know maths, when they talk about their new flat white coffee, they say it's made up of two thirds coffee, one third milk, one third bubbles. Surely it should be half coffee, quarter milk, quarter bubbles. I know I'm a sad old get but things like this bother me.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    That was just the advert, weren't it? Lots of people explaining what they think a flat white is, which are all wrong, followed by the McDonalds description, which is also wrong. Marvellous.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    So you're not lovin' it then? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader
    PVO_Dave said:
    So you're not lovin' it then? :)
    Don't know never had one, but like the add's

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
    The marketing person that dreamt this up has no stars on their badge

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    They were just taking the piss out of the hipster baristas (band name, anyone?), Y'know, the ones who like to think that making a cup of coffee is a craft.
    Personally, I can't stand McDonald's, but the advert made me chuckle.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14750
    Why do people insist on adulterating a perfectly good espresso base with milk, sweeteners and additional water?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9997
    Is this the opposite of a Round White? is it balanced on the back of a turtle?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    Stella Artois fudge their ads too. 'Four ingredients' is the claim: hops, barley, maize, water. But it should be five ingredients as they forget to mention yeast.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Why do people insist on adulterating a perfectly good espresso base with milk, sweeteners and additional water?
    Because there aren't many chains which can do this. I can only think of Coffee #1 off the top of my head.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12542
    Because there aren't many chains which can do this. I can only think of Coffee #1 off the top of my head.
    Maybe they don't like espressos?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11734
    tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:
    Is it just me or don't McDonald's know maths, when they talk about their new flat white coffee, they say it's made up of two thirds coffee, one third milk, one third bubbles. Surely it should be half coffee, quarter milk, quarter bubbles. I know I'm a sad old get but things like this bother me.
    Thats the Americans - always giving you extra

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Same reason people adulterate a perfectly good bacon base with bread, butter and sauce (see Bacon Sarnie Recipes). :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    I haven't seen the thirds thing, I've seen it advertised as something like a latte with a little less milk. I have had a couple and that seems fairly accurate. At the McDonald's in Castle Gate* they said I was the first person who had ordered one there ( no prize though). 

*Unnecessary detail just for any one who knows Dudley. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • There's an Italian film with Roberto Benigni in and the punchline in one sketch is that everything gets split three ways. Even when there are five people, they all get 33% each (trentatrè, trentatrè, trentatrè, trentatrè, trentatrè). :)
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited March 2018
    GSPBASSES said:
    It's a special treat for Hammers fans ..... forever blowing ....
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Is this the opposite of a Round White? is it balanced on the back of a turtle?
    Flat white is siraxeaman’s usual drinks order in McDonalds.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2853
    GSPBASSES said:
    Depends if they were talking about mass, ie content (thirds) or volume (quarters)

bith are of interest to the buyer 
    the former in terms of value for money
    the latter in not spilling it over you from an undersized cup
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader
    They were just taking the piss out of the hipster baristas (band name, anyone?), Y'know, the ones who like to think that making a cup of coffee is a craft.
    Personally, I can't stand McDonald's, but the advert made me chuckle.
    I think you're right. I think the ad is taking the piss out of  coffee freaks. Possibly it's a deliberate piss take saying its two thirds and a third and a third. I've always wondered how coffee shops like Starbucks, Nero and Costa my cappuccinos that are a third a third a third, then asked if you want a double shot, do not have special cups that hold one and third. It could be that a third a third a third is volume, and the double shot is twice the amount of coffee grounds they put in the head to make the coffee.
    Although I've since found out that the flat white does contain two espresso shots, so theoretically, if you take a classic espresso that is one shot, which equals one third then a third milk plus a third froth you do end up with four thirds. Funny enough, some of the cameras manufacturers call their sensors four thirds, I'll stop now got headache.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    DiscoStu said:
    Stella Artois fudge their ads too. 'Four ingredients' is the claim: hops, barley, maize, water. But it should be five ingredients as they forget to mention yeast.

they  also use finings , but like the yeast 99.999%  of it is removed as part of the brewing process.

harks back to purity laws, before they knew yeast existed... but the maize kinda ruins that anyway 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2448
    The marketing person that dreamt this up has no stars on their badge
    But has a Mont Blanc pen in their top pocket and a set of keys to some form of German automobile.