Senheiser HD650 headphones?

What's Hot

Anyone use the Senheiser HD650s?

Do you like them? I use an old pair of Fostex T20RPs and looking to upgrade.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    I think that's the ones I've got for monitoring. Certainly a pair of Senns but not at home to check. Whichever ones it is they came recommended by folks on here and I've been really happy with them.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    I have a spare pair of Sennheiser HD650 as I recently upgraded to a pair of HD660S.  They're good.  They're open back so they bleed sound and annoy my wife, and for the same reason don't block external sound.  They are very analytical but sometimes I'm tempted to boost the bass a bit to add some excitement.  They never lose their composure.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    You will also need a headphone amp with these to get the best out of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Why? Won't an audio interface be powerful enough? What about a modeller such as Helix/Atomic Amplifire?

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Right, so I was miles off! It's HD380 Pros I've got. Closed back and not in the same price bracket.  
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    Why? Won't an audio interface be powerful enough? What about a modeller such as Helix/Atomic Amplifire?
    Depends what the DAC is like. I suspect with a decent audio interface it should be pretty good; however, generally speaking, and as @RaymondLin pointed out, a good headphone amp will bring them alive. The difference is like night and day. I honestly wouldn't do without mine.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    I use a pair with my Helix (you don't need an amp) I really like them I was using AKG 550's closed back - but I find the open backs much nicer to use. I did a fair bit of research as to what to use with the Helix and these are well thought of.

they are also nice and light and very comfortable - but they do leak sound. But I find open backs less draining. I play pretty much only with headphones... little one... neighbours... mrs... they don't need to hear me :)

(I know I'll get shouted down but I really like playing through headphones).
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    I use the slightly cheaper 600 model.  

They should work ok with your audio interface & mine sound fine through the Helix.

It takes a while for the foam on the ear pads to soften, but once they do, they are very comfortable & lightweight.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    HD650s are 300 ohm headphones. Headphone outputs are normally rated to 32 ohm so you almost definitely want a headphone amp for them or they won't sound the way they should.

Not that a lot has to be spent. Headphone amps of £100 or less have been very highly rated (Schiit Audio for instance do a very nice amp for about £99)

Caveat: some devices do have a 300ohm output, but this is far from the norm as most headphones are 16 ohm to 32 ohm. Check your manufacturer spec to be sure. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    Myranda said:
    Schiit Audio
    Childish but have a LOL
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    I'm on my third pair of Senheiser headphones. I've noticed a lack of lower-mids in all three sets which makes them sound a bit aneamic, although the detail in the sound is there. I don't know what the model names are/were but I paid £50 for one pair and about £25 for the other two. On my first two pairs, (one was the £50 pair), the sound stopped coming out of one side after several years.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited March 2018
    seany65 said:
    I'm on my third pair of Senheiser headphones. I've noticed a lack of lower-mids in all three sets which makes them sound a bit aneamic, although the detail in the sound is there. I don't know what the model names are/were but I paid £50 for one pair and about £25 for the other two. On my first two pairs, (one was the £50 pair), the sound stopped coming out of one side after several years.
    The HD650 are £320 and possibly better quality that the ones you had.