NAD: Incoming HK Tubemeister 36

What's Hot
firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 365
This is due to land at my door tomorrow and I was quite excited about a 3-channel all valve amp with speaker sim output and MIDI. Then I saw a comparison clip on YouTube with a JMP-1 preamp. I've got an old JMP-1 and all I really need is a 20/20 power amp to get basically the same thing. I'll give it a chance for a bit as it's on a 30-dayer...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 365
    edited March 2018
    Tried the TM36 out at home and I must say I'm suitably impressed. Gutsy and dynamic drive sounds. The clean I thought initially was a bit sterile but then it came to life when the gain was pushed a bit and dropped to 18 watts. Don't know why this £500 all valve, MIDI head doesn't get more interest?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had the head for a while and liked it quite a bit. It could do almost every sound I could want, but just wasn't brilliant at any of them (for me). The cleans were a bit sterile, high gain was a tad fizzy. Who knows, it may have been my dialling in that was the problem. After I had sent it back I read the the EQ was active and didn't work like a conventional EQ section.
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    edited March 2018
    The EQ is weird. Try the lead channel with trebble very low and bass and mids maxed, made it way more usable for me. Happy new amp day!
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 146
    Heard a covers band lead guitarist (ACDC, Sabbath etc.) use one of these through a Marshall 2x12 on its side and thought it sounded great! Thick but still quite bright, it had just the right mid range cut for a band. Dude said it was just g12t 75s in the cab.
  • Sent it back, A/B'd with my Redplate Blackverb was no contest...
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I tried really hard to love a GM36. The programmability was pretty good, but I just couldn't get on with the tone so sold it on.