PS4 or Xbox One for the Casual Gamer

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1768

Hi All

Every couple of years when I upgrade my phone I trade the old one into CEX and upgrade my games console. Currently have a PS3 and am a very casual gamer. Probably less than an hour a week, but when I do find I game I like I enjoy playing it.

I don't play games online with other people and however I would like to be able to stream amazon prime video / netlifx from it if possible.

So which console would people recommend or is this simply just a case of they're pretty much the same?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Less than 1 hour a week, don’t play online... sounds like the answer is none.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited March 2018
    Whichever cex have cheapest for that amount of use

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1057
    Either will satisfy your needs easily. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27698
    Unless you love shooters and/or have no soul... Nintendo Switch and a chromecast/firestick/appletv for streaming

Deadly serious - Mario & Zelda are way better (for casuals and "serious" gamers alike) than almost anything on PS4/XB1.

If you're dead set on one of the "hardcore" machines, then it's down to which exclusives you want to play, and whether you prefer one controller over the other. 

What type of games do you like?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1768
    I quite enjoy the call of duty games, gta, some driving games, I like the look of the isle of man tt game.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27698
    Well they're all on both, but XB gets Forza, which is generally accepted to be better than Gran Turismo these days. Unless you specifically want to play Horizon:Zero Dawn, Uncharted and Bloodborne. Though I've heard from multiple sources that HorizonZD is amazing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    If you are committed to getting one, my vote would be for the PS4 because: Bloodborne
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 134
    Analogue Super NT + Sd2SNES flashcart
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    edited March 2018
    If you are committed to getting one, my vote would be for the PS4 because: Bloodborne
    You're recommending that a casual gamer who plays less than an hour a week buy a PS4 to play Bloodborne?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    You're recommending that a casual game who plays less than an hour a week buy a PS4 to play Bloodbourne?
    Many hardcore gamers only read the first twenty words, after that they lose focus / concentration and start to think about napalm banjo twitch organising badger orange

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    You're recommending that a casual game who plays less than an hour a week buy a PS4 to play Bloodbourne?

One of us... One of us... 

It's called conversion therapy ;) I'm currently downloading ratchet and clank and bloodborne free of charge as a psplus member. Pretty much justified the cost of subscription for me! 

Doom 2016 makes a great casual game too. Definitely get that. 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited March 2018
    For me xbox one not just for the games,  it's a great media hub ... 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    edited March 2018
    DefaultM said:
    You're recommending that a casual game who plays less than an hour a week buy a PS4 to play Bloodborne?

One of us... One of us... 

It's called conversion therapy I'm currently downloading ratchet and clank and bloodborne free of charge as a psplus member. Pretty much justified the cost of subscription for me! 

Doom 2016 makes a great casual game too. Definitely get that. 
    Bloodborne is amazing, but we all bought it at work and only 2 finished it. The rest of us just screamed at it and never got out of Old Yarnham haha.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    I have both, and a Switch.

They are all good, and each has exclusives and shared games. I think I might just edge towards the Switch for Zelda and Golf Story, but I would find it hard to argue against either of the others.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    DefaultM said:
    You're recommending that a casual gamer who plays less than an hour a week buy a PS4 to play Bloodborne?
    Absolutely. Remember 1 Corinthians 13:
    "When I was a casual gamer, I spoke as a casual gamer, I understood as a casual gamer, I thought as a casual gamer; but when I became a man, I put away casual games, bought a PS4, and started playing Bloodborne. And now I see as through a glass, darkly."   or something like that - I forget the exact words. Anyway, the point is that if the OP is only playing less than an hour a week, then he needs to maximise the terror, frustration, and unending heartbreak for the time that he is playing.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7713
    If any of your friends have one or the other, consider getting that one as you'll have someone you know to play online with occasionally 

Otherwise take a look at the exclusives each has and see if any appeal

Failing that, whichever you can get a good deal on 
    Red ones are better. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I bought my son a PS4 off gumtree recently. £170 including 7 games and two controllers. There be bargains.
  • Xbox backward compatibility means access to cheap 360 games...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• gubblegubble Frets: 1768
    Xbox backward compatibility means access to cheap 360 games...

This does appeal to me as I've literally just started playing red dead redemption on my PS3 and really enjoying it - so would like to play it on the new console I buy. (I've called the horse Nigel).

So I've decided on xbox one. For the trade in value on my phone and my PS3 plus games i'll have enough for an Xbox One and 3 or 4 games - cracking and thanks all for the help

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    edited March 2018
    On Xbox you can get the Gamepass - which is like Netflix, but for games. And MS has announced all new first party games will launch straight on this. So the next Forza and Sea of Thieves will be on there on launch day, for just around £8 a month.

And there's the EA Pass too - which is £20 for a year and all EA games go on that after they've been out a while. The FIFA games go up quick enough that they arrive before the end of the season. 

So combined with an Xbox One you can have a massive library of games without having to spend big on individual titles.  And if you get an XB1X or XB1S you'll also have a UHD blu-ray drive into the bargain.

I've got a PS4Pro and Xbox One X (my kids have my regular PS4 and XB1S) and I use the Xbox much more than the PS4. Partly down to preferring the controller, and also some of my favourite games such as Forza Horizon have no PS4 equivalent.