Whats a fair price for 120 Vinyl Albums ??

What's Hot

I have decided to sell all my remaining Vinyl Albums.

I have around 120 in total, mainly 1970s ..a very mixed bag - Acoustic/Rock/Blues/Prog Rock etc

A bloke at work wants to buy them all and wants me to give him a price.

I don't want to rip him off, but I don't want to sell myself short either.

What do you think would be an acceptable/ reasonable asking price ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Without checking any prices, gut instinct says £3 each. 

I'll know very shortly how wrong I am....
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    It depends entirely on the value of each album. I sold a boxload to a dealer for the equivalent of 50p each, then the next week I saw most of them in his bargain box at various prices between 50p and £1, a few others for the usual going rate (at the time between £2.50 and £5 depending on condition and rarity), and the Quintessence LP up on the rack for £30.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    If you think any of them are rare or valuable, look them up on Discogs to see what people have paid/sold them for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3611
    Friend of mine sold his collection two years ago and the dealer visited his house. One LP was £250, a couple more around £100 and the rest hardly get a mention.
  • Have a look on Discogs for prices... 

I could put 5 of my albums together and get £300-£400. The I could put 50 together and get £150..

you need to go through them individually.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Price depends massively on condition too. Mint albums are worth much more than anything played to death, scratched, with a creased sleeve, missing inserts or extras etc.

Discogs is definitely the way to go for pricing, although be sensible and don’t think you’ll get what a dealer asks. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    +1 for Discogs. I put all my vinyl in (85 items) with honest conditions and it estimates my collection is worth between £730 - £2075 (I have quite a few rarities so their prices can fluctuate depending on demand) but even at the lowest 'quick sale' value of £730 that averages at £8.58 per item. Now obviously an average price does not work for every individual record but it's better than £3 per record! 
    Go to their site, sign up, and put a few in. You might be surprised at what people are willing to pay for old albums.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    edited March 2018
    Take the time to check the albums on Discogs.

I think it's worth your time/effort.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited March 2018
    seems if you scribble some old tat on them they can be worth more...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vinyl/signed-dad-s-army-record-from-1975.-original.-/1167081321

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I'll give you £20 for  the Beatles Rubber Soul. First album I ever bought with my pocket money and it went missing at some point between 1972 and 1980. I suspect my brother......Also the original Sticky Fingers with the zip....gone.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    To be honest he's probably looking for an amazing price. Most people don't want to throw £300 at some old vinyl.
  • Remember on Discogs when you have put the album identity code in you can then look at sales history so you can see when sold and what for.. gives a much better idea than the currently for sale prices
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 663
    Thanks Guys. Discogs seems the way to go. I will sign up and put a few in and take it from there. Cheers.