Just tried a Kemper.....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    One of the really nice things about a Kemper, Axe FX, Helix, etc is that when, after 6 months or a year you get a bit bored with one or all of your presets and you feel like trying a new amp/amps, you can and it costs nothing. Not to mention that you can have your new amp straight away!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5671
    drwiddly said:
    One of the really nice things about a Kemper, Axe FX, Helix, etc is that when, after 6 months or a year you get a bit bored with one or all of your presets and you feel like trying a new amp/amps, you can and it costs nothing. Not to mention that you can have your new amp straight away!
    This is the other bit I need to research; as in what’s included out of the box in terms of amps already available and how to add new ones. I’m aware you can profile any amp but I’ve also seen patches and models for sale. 

Are they all “pay per view” or are there other resources for acquiring free models?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    There are a fair few pre installed profiles which you can keep or remove as you please. If you install Rig Manager on your computer, it gives you access to all the Kemper Rig Packs as well as the Rig Exchange, where users upload their profiles. There are about 20 Rig packs and something like 8k profiles on the Rig Exchange, all free for download. You can demo any profile on your Kemper by double clicking it so easy to weed out the dross.

There also loads of professional profilers who charge for packs of profiles. The leading ones are probably Michael Britt, Top Jimi, SinMix, Tone Junkies and The Amp Factory. Tons of choice so best to have a think about what you like first, then download a few free ones to tweak. If you find an amp you absolutely love, then it might be worth hunting for a really good, paid for pack.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16133
    I have played Helix and Kemper extensively
    initially I thought the Kemper was great but I couldn't dial out the digital tail no matter what .When you first hit a chord it sounds superb but as it decays the digital plink becomes more evident;
    Conversely,the Helix initially doesn't sound quite so convincing but on most patches except the would be " Dr Z " and the "Hi Watt" you can dial out the digital decay sound................overall IMO Helix wins from that perspective.
     Get a drummer, bass,vocals and keyboard going and none of it matters a toss.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5671
    While I think about it; what are impulse response doodahs all about?  See, this is starting to get way too complicated for my tiny little mind to understand already, lol.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26688
    Haych said:
    While I think about it; what are impulse response doodahs all about?  See, this is starting to get way too complicated for my tiny little mind to understand already, lol.
    In the context of a modeller, you can think of it as a really small file which is a snapshot of how a speaker cab + mic (together) behave. Essentially, in a modeller that has an impulse response loader block, you can have any combination of mic and cab that you can get hold of, so you're no longer limited to just the cabs/mics you get in the box.
    <space for hire>
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    To me, using a Modeller live is a bit like doing a Pub gig via Skype.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Care to explain? I'm tired, and don't get that ay all ha
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8740
    57Deluxe said:
    To me, using a modeller at a pub gig is similar to doing a stadium gig, but with a smaller audience. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Roland said:
    57Deluxe said:
    To me, using a modeller at a pub gig is similar to doing a stadium gig, but with a smaller audience. 
    Quality comeback!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    Doing a pub gig from my sofa with a nice bottle of red while catching up on Masterchef?

Where can I buy one of these Kemper doodads? 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16133
    they can supply somebody to do the playing bit too !
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Roland said:
    57Deluxe said:
    But oddly there will be the same number of people in the audience who care about the guitar tone i.e., zero.

One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom