Tweed Shootout! The Need For Tweed

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Chalky said:
    Have often thought there should be a pedal with two interactive volume controls like the 5e3 - is there one that I've missed?
    Les Lius
    But that just has Volume and Gain like other pedals, not the interaction you get from the two separate volume controls on the 5E3.  For example, turn the Les Lius Volume knob to zero and whatever you do with the Gain knob will have no effect - is that right? Whereas on a 5E3 if you turn either Volume knob to zero, the other volume knob will still work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Actually you're correct sorry. Left knob is a volume control for a preset amount of gain. Right hand side brings in a stack on top and knob controls gain, not volume. I got confused! 
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1472
    edited March 2018
    Not to be TOO much of a pedant, but the mic used is an M160, not a C160, it's hypercardioid, not cardioid, so it DOES have a lobe at the back (albeit a small one) and when he says it's what Eddie Kramer used to record Hendrix, well that's partly true, but crucially it was used in conjunction with a dynamic and a condenser all packed into a tight pattern, and THAT'S what gave the sound. The M160 is a relatively small part of that process, and in isolation it's a bit flat-sounding on guitars.

A pair were used for the drum sound on When The Levee Breaks, however, and sound magnificent there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I’m happy to mod it, but right after posting I put my Hudson Broadcast in front of it and cut a bit of bass. It’s perfect. 
    I'm drawn to the broadcast pedal. I don't know why though as I have no real use for fuzz but it still draws me lol 
    It's way more than just fuzz. And to bring this back (mostly) on topic, it works really, really well with Tweed amps. 
    Omg don't say that. I might have to get one now ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    I settled down to watch this with some high expectations and it was rather pants TBH.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Oh no?! How come? 
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited March 2018
    57Deluxe said:
    I settled down to watch this with some high expectations and it was rather pants TBH.
    Oh no?! How come? 
    I agreement with the pants assessment.  Biggest problem is the guitar playing: just strumming a few chords doesn’t give us much idea of how the amps perform, just shows their different eq’s.  I’m not sure that it is possible to do a decent assessment of so many amp configs in such a short video.

It comes across as a rather incompetent video - if high production value - which is what I’ve come to expect of some guitar mags when they try to play the YouTube game. Best leave this sort of thing to the likes of Johan Segeborn.

EDIT: oh look, Johan has done a tweed roundup and it sounds wonderful.  Much less “objective” than the OP video with many variables changing between clips but it makes me like the amps instead of check the time!  I still think that focusing on just two or three amp/speakers makes more sense when doing s comparison.

https://youtu.be/KoSwfWsvXgI
  • That one is great. And now I want a Bassman. 
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    That one is great. And now I want a Bassman. 
    Indeed Bassman ftw, I don’t understand why the 5f6a circuit isn’t more popular: more controlled under drive than smaller tweeds, better cleans than JTM - it’s like the perfect amp.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    mixolyd said:
    Indeed Bassman ftw, I don’t understand why the 5f6a circuit isn’t more popular: more controlled under drive than smaller tweeds, better cleans than JTM - it’s like the perfect amp.
    These days you can't get a 5F6a to the point where it will drive without the noise police interfering.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3174
    tFB Trader
    mixolyd said:
    Because they weigh a tonne and are very awkward to carry, a nightmare for some gigging musicians.

That being said, they’re the epitome of nP Tweed tone and I regularly go and pay homage to an original 1960 when I need inspiration. Love ‘em.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• crunchman said:
    mixolyd said:
    These days you can't get a 5F6a to the point where it will drive without the noise police interfering.
    I played through a friend’s, with a Rat in front. That hit the spot, and not too loud.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited March 2018
    mixolyd said:
    Not in my experience - the complete opposite, unless when you talk of drive you mean external drive.

The RI has Ice pick cleans at volume but is a lovely amp when at low room volume dialed clean with a Strat, in which way you may as well have a Deluxe!

If you fancy a Bassman - get a Super Reverb - 10x better!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    RiftAmps said:
    mixolyd said:
    Because they weigh a tonne and are very awkward to carry, a nightmare for some gigging musicians.

That being said, they’re the epitome of nP Tweed tone and I regularly go and pay homage to an original 1960 when I need inspiration. Love ‘em.
    Yes they are rather bulky and as @crunchman says also rather overly loud.  I know that both yourself and @martinw have built Bassman-esque amps with smaller output (6V6 I guess) but how close that gets to the real deal I don’t know.  

Apparently the RI needs a preamp tube swap to get it into the correct ballpark.  Match it with a good attenuator or reactive load and you’re off to the races.  For me the combination of a Gibson style guitar with a Bassman is very special, though I’m limited to using the Bassman in Helix Native for now which sounds pretty incredible by modelling standards.

The RI sounding like a Bassman:

https://youtu.be/C2cNf-sUE40
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    mixolyd said:
    Agreed.
    I've always though the 5F6-A is a bit different to the smaller tweeds by virtue of it's LTP phase inverter which gives it that classic smooth, symetrical breakup when pushed.
    Of course if you put a 12AY7 in V1 of a JTM, you get something very close, and that's something I've done with my own V6-20 which uses that preamp.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6903
    Hmm interesting - all sounded pretty much the same - was expecting more variation!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1