Got my asthma treated

What's Hot
strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
After about a year of using a borrowed reliever inhaler when I got wheezy (didn't happen often, generally triggered by soot from bus exhausts, exercise particularly in cold weather, and any time I got a head cold it would leave me very wheezy at night to the point where I couldn't sleep without taking the inhaler before bed), I decided, or rather my wife persuaded me, to see the asthma nurse at my GP practice and have it properly looked at.

I did the spirometry and peak flow, which was interesting. My FVC was a little over 6 litres which was good, and my peak flow was 700, which again is good but not quite as good as you'd expect. They were also able to tell from the shape of the curve that I had some small airways narrowing.

Anyhow, I got started on a combined steroid/long acting beta agonist inhaler, and the difference is really surprising.
It's not that I thought I was particularly limited by wheeze before hand, but it's only now that it's treated I realise how it was affecting me, particularly during exercise.

I did a 40 mile cycle today. Normally my pace would be somewhat limited by a combination of my leg muscles and my chest feeling tight (which I thought was normal for the exercise I was doing). Today I didn't feel my breathing at all and knocked out the fastest 40 miles I've done in about 6 months, despite not being down to my summer weight.

So there you go, turns out it was worth getting treated after all!
Now I just need to build up the motivation to go to the optician for the first time in 7 years..
Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    PM your real name and I’ll stick a tenner on you for the 2020 tdf
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    In all seriousness, well done for getting sorted 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well played!! 

I've had asthma for all of my life (31 now) and about 6 months ago I visited the usual yearly clinic but was seen by a different person this time. They changed my steroid inhaler to one called Fostair (sounds very similar to yours)  and it has literally changed my life.

I was using a full Salbutamol inhaler every month and now go 2-3 months easily when combined with the new Fostair one!! Amazing! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    I had childhood asthma but it had largely disappeared through my teens and twenties but lots of people seem to get recurrence of their symptoms in their 30s.
    I'm on Symbicort using a SMART regimen so I don't have a reliever, I just use more of the Symbicort if I get any wheeze
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2416
    I've had asthma all my life, but the thing that has made the biggest difference is moving to a newbuild(ish) house. Even running (which used to be a certain trigger for an asthma attack) no longer sets me off, and I'm not taking any preventers.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Good news!

And with any luck the eyesight test and subsequent prescription specs will mean you’ll be able to identify road signs, traffic lights and all kinds of Highway Code-related things............

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Good news!

And with any luck the eyesight test and subsequent prescription specs will mean you’ll be able to identify road signs, traffic lights and all kinds of Highway Code-related things............
    Haha, I already wear glasses, I just haven't been for an eye test or indeed new glasses in 7 years. I figure that if my prescription changed I'd probably notice. I hadn't been for 7 years prior to the last eye test and my prescription hadn't changed a bit. I'm not diabetic, don't have glaucoma etc so no particular reason to go very often
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    Well played!! 

I've had asthma for all of my life (31 now) and about 6 months ago I visited the usual yearly clinic but was seen by a different person this time. They changed my steroid inhaler to one called Fostair (sounds very similar to yours)  and it has literally changed my life.

I was using a full Salbutamol inhaler every month and now go 2-3 months easily when combined with the new Fostair one!! Amazing! 
    I’ve been using a Fostair Nexthaler which has been good for me also.  To be honest if i had to rely on the previous brown preventer I’d be struggling now, but the Fostair keeps things at bay, meaning I need to use the blue reliever hardly ever.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15972
    edited March 2018
    what was your % for the spirometry? FEV 1
    tae be or not tae be
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    edited March 2018
    I was diagnosed with it as a small child; our cats and their fur triggered my symptoms, so we had to move them on. After that, it was just exercise or a bad cold that brought on the wheezes, which I usually dealt with via the Ventolin/Salbutamol inhaler.

Over the last couple of years (I’m 35 now) I’ve had a recurrence of symptoms, particularly during the cold weather. After seeing my local GP (once I’d got past the nurse who tried to tell me I didn’t have asthma (what is it with those bloody surgery nurses?), I was prescribed the brown inhaler once or twice a day and it seemed to help. I lapsed in taking it though, and when I had an Occ Health clinic in work a year or so, the respiratory test revealed I had the respiratory system of a 64 year old. I started taking it again straightaway and it wasn’t long before I felt better again.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I got diagnosed with it when I moved from the east coast to Birmingham. Smog?

Very mild but both types of inhalers were prescribed - last test I was told I didn’t need them. So just a heads up that it might not be a permanent condition for you.

And what were you doing borrowing an inhaler? Look after yourself better in future!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited March 2018
    all you needed was to ingest some gut parasites. They kill the asthma cos is a threat to them!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    I lapsed in taking it though, and when I had an Occ Health clinic in work a year or so, the respiratory test revealed I had the respiratory system of a 64 year old. I started taking it again straightaway and it wasn’t long before I felt better again.

I used to lapse.  I always thought if my triggers aren't around, there's no point in taking a preventer, so I used to go on it when I felt I should (hayfever season and cold weather)  The asthma nurse said I was the worst type of asthmatic and generally the type that die.  The chronic all year round sufferers tend to be better controlled, whereas I was fine, but totally unprotected.  Cold snap, chest infection, run for the bus, forgets inhaler..... made me think It's best not to be in that position.

So I'm a good every day preventer type now!

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I lapsed in taking it though, and when I had an Occ Health clinic in work a year or so, the respiratory test revealed I had the respiratory system of a 64 year old. I started taking it again straightaway and it wasn’t long before I felt better again.

I used to lapse.  I always thought if my triggers aren't around, there's no point in taking a preventer, so I used to go on it when I felt I should (hayfever season and cold weather)  The asthma nurse said I was the worst type of asthmatic and generally the type that die.  The chronic all year round sufferers tend to be better controlled, whereas I was fine, but totally unprotected.  Cold snap, chest infection, run for the bus, forgets inhaler..... made me think It's best not to be in that position.

So I'm a good every day preventer type now!

Same here mate. My asthma has never been the extremely serious type and I was a seasonal inhaler user as well - normally the colder months.

I take it without fail now though, especially after hearing some asthma horror stories on a recent Radio 5 phone in...
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    edited March 2018
    Xolair injections for me 3 in the back of the arm every 2 weeks , totally transformed my life from emptying a Ventolin every 14 days to using it maybe once or twice a day.

Thread about it here:
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/99815/i-ve-just-mown-the-lawn/p1

Peak flows are still shit though 340 on a good day.
    I never truly understood just how dangerous asthma is until the doctor explained when I was in hospital for tests, now I never screw with my medicine, I want to breathe!
    Yep, asthma still kills people.
    There was an NCEPOD review into asthma deaths quite recently, a large proportion of them are people who use a reliever inhaler a month but rarely use their preventer.
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    Another one here, caused by Allergies.  Taking the Qvar brown inhaler properly for some time has finally controlled it well so the Salbutamol is not necessary but I find I have to have it around for peace of mind at all times. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    edited March 2018
    Well played!! 

I’ve been using a Fostair Nexthaler which has been good for me also.  To be honest if i had to rely on the previous brown preventer I’d be struggling now, but the Fostair keeps things at bay, meaning I need to use the blue reliever hardly ever.
    My dr switched me to those last summer too and it’s been brilliant - so much more effective for me than any other I’ve tried so far☺️

Btw - it’s a dual preventer and reliever, so it should be rare that you need your salbutomol too!