House Move Dilemma

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I think now is a good time to upgrade, ie before you have kids and you are young enough. we did the same , late 30s moved to a bigger detached house which tbh was a bit out of our league but managed to keep paying the mortgage for about 12 years, then things got tight.  In our early 50s we sold the house, had quite a lot of equity, moved a bit further out into hertfordshire into what was in effect a bigger house but much cheaper. The equity on the sold house covered the cost of the new house with a bit left over so now we are mortgage free. Even though on paper it looks like a downgrade , we have a better standard of life, less stress and more living space. The downside is that we wont have as much value to pass on to the kids but i still feel more privileged than many.   What im trying to say is that even though we were forced by circumstances to "downsize", by having the more expensive house it opened up options.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited March 2018
    Rocker said:
    Someone posted that Bristol is commuting distance from London. Train journey is 1 hour 48 minutes, equates to almost 20 hours per week stuck in a train. Life has to be worth more than that. 
    Plus the hour extra hanging around on or getting to and from stations. I wouldn’t commute to Bristol from Bath let alone London!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    Go for it. I’ve taken two largish risks in the housing market and it’s paid off each time - nothing ventured nothing gained.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    We are in a very similar position but have literally just moved a few days ago!  I think our main difference is that we have a healthier ltv.  The main thing that I would add to what's already been said is that we found the process of trying to sell our house absolutely horrible.  Firstly, the 'decluttering' made the house not quite feel right or like ours. That great feeling of 'it's my house I can do what I want' is lost somewhat.  With both of us working normal office hours ish getting home and getting the house ready for viewings a bit if a nightmare which tied up weekends and evenings.  We had so many tyre kickers and it's actually really demoralising.  Our estate agent was also really bad to deal with, pushy when it came to us doing viewings and useless with simple tasks, like not replying to all on emails.

Not trying to put you off, honest! Just sharing a bit of our experience. We were on the market for under 2 months, had 20 or so viewings, had enough of it and was about to take it off the market. 

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    I'd move in a heartbeat...

But I've never lived anywhere more than 5 years all my life. I just keep moving. It drives the misses mad but it pays off
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    edited March 2018
    Move. 
    Most people would be overjoyed to have 50% monthly salaries left as genuine disposable income. 
    My frst house cost me 60k, stayed three years sold it for 90k, the next cost me 160 and sold six years later for £200k.  My new house maxed me out but it’s also my retirement fund as I can downsize when I need to.

Caveat  being where I live £160k buys a nice 4 bed detached in a decent location ( well decent location for round here)