What's Hot
steven70steven70 Frets: 1278
edited March 2020 in Amps
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Replace the top speaker with a G12M-65 Creamback. The H75s probably do need breaking in, but they're still a clearer/brighter speaker - the M65 is warmer and more middy. The pair together is fantastic.

If you're definitely going to get a new cab, the Harley Benton G212V can't be touched for the money - it's under £200 *new* fitted with two V30s - you'll easily get £100 for the speakers if you don't like them. It's a ply cabinet and sounds very good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1278
    edited March 2020
  • Pm sent
    "You play an accordian, you go to prison - that’s the law…."  
    edited March 2020
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ICBM said:
    Replace the top speaker with a G12M-65 Creamback. The H75s probably do need breaking in, but they're still a clearer/brighter speaker - the M65 is warmer and more middy. The pair together is fantastic.

If you're definitely going to get a new cab, the Harley Benton G212V can't be touched for the money - it's under £200 *new* fitted with two V30s - you'll easily get £100 for the speakers if you don't like them. It's a ply cabinet and sounds very good.
    Seen you recommend these a few times, agree they are cheap, but don't sound great IMO
    John_A said:

Seen you recommend these a few times, agree they are cheap, but don't sound great IMO
    The ones I've heard have all sounded good, either with the stock V30s or with replaced speakers - better than some other big-name 2x12"s with the same speakers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2589
    tFB Trader
    Boxyness is likely due to the cab not being deep enough, pretty hard to fix that without wrecking the cab.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ICBM said:
    John_A said:

The ones I've heard have all sounded good, either with the stock V30s or with replaced speakers - better than some other big-name 2x12"s with the same speakers.
    Have you ever ran one at gig volume?  I haven't heard loads, but I had one with celestial neo's as I thought it would be a great lightweight option, but it just sounded boxy and awful, the same speakers in a 1936 sounded great
    I’ve heard one at band volume in a practice room with a variety of speakers. I’ve never heard neos in one - it’s possible they just didn’t suit it for some reason. It certainly sounded far better with V30s than a 1936 with V30s, although I would admit there was a fair time difference between hearing them.

The only pair of speakers I’ve heard in one which really didn’t sound good was a G12M-65 Creamback and a Classic Lead 80 - that was horrible. 

• markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    How about giving zilla cabs a ring. They make excellent cabs. You can choose what speakers too. But they will build an empty cab if you already have speakers. If you tell them what speakers you have and the problems you want to solve. They'll recommend the best cab 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited March 2018
    John_A said:
    ICBM said:
    John_A said:

Have you ever ran one at gig volume?  I haven't heard loads, but I had one with celestial neo's as I thought it would be a great lightweight option, but it just sounded boxy and awful, the same speakers in a 1936 sounded great

Did the cab originally come with the V30s? I ask because Harley Benton do a non v30 cab, the cab on that one is not built of ply, so could possibly have been a different cab completely
    edited March 2020