NAD: 80s Session Duette 110 & question

scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
A sentimental eBay purchase to remind me of mate’s amp back in student days. Near mint although reverb and volume pots are a bit noisy. Here’s the question - guitar straight into amp is a bit hissy. But Boss GT001 into fx return and it’s silent as tomb in terms of any background noise. Is it possible to get rid of background noise on an old solid state amp?! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    If it’s quiet going into the FX return, the hiss is coming from the preamp, which is all-IC. You could replace the ICs with lower-noise versions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Contact Stewart Ward (http://www.award-session.com/) - he quietened down one of my Sessionettes. I can't remember what it was in the preamp he changed, but something had 'drifted'.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Thanks, gents. Is this kind of service/replacement cheap? (E.g. nicely under £50...) I don't have skills to approach innards of amp confidently or even safely.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Well... it rather depends on the hourly rate you are paying the skilled technican to repair it... I have no idea what Stewart charges these days but it may be worth an email.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited March 2018
    Welcome to the Session Connoisseurs Club! Currently into my 32nd year of continuous usage/ownership of my Rockette 30 with only one blown fuse and one leaky capacitor (fixed by simply  jumpering the FX loop) to fault.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I think they look great and a bit of switch cleaner worked well on most pots. Has Machinehead Music sticker on back (where I once bought a Gordon Smith 12 string for £195 cash...) and a price sticker from another shop of £93! This one was from eBay pawn shop in Essex. A good journey.