London... Camden... Denmark Street ... Revisited

fandangofandango Frets: 2204
Following on from recent threads/posts/comments regarding London Guitar shops, I nevertheless went to see Denmark Street with my own eyes on a rare forage to the Big Smoke and my main thought is that Crossrail isn't helping. Access from Charing Cross Road is an obstacle course. The Council struggle to keep the street clean/tidy. Likewise Charing Cross Road. Treatment of empty shopfronts is very disappointing - how hard is it to put up some cool & groovy hoarding over the vacated Wunjo's and Macari's? 

It seems as if the North side of the street is being vacated to facilitate the Crossrail works - and I think that partly explains Macari's (forced?) decanting to their Charing Cross Road shop. Shame they can't give their remaining shop a bit of a spring clean. Wunjo's said they were holding up. Gave the others a miss this time around- apologies to Hanks, NoTom & Regent.

But prior to that slightly dispiriting trip to Denmark Street, I spent a great half hour in GuitarGuitar Camden, and thanks to one of the guys in there, was allowed to put some amps through their paces - see separate post.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited March 2018
    I bought my first big amp in Denmark Street in 1994 and used to go to gigs in the 90s at the Astoria (and Astoria 2).

I've also worked around that way for years, so I've ridden through there before and during the Crossrail stuff. It's taken forever and the work seems to be spreading from TCR tube station outwards.

I was at somebody's house on Sunday and they had a "Ye Olde London" map on the wall. Amazing to see there didn't used to be a connecting road from Oxford Street to Holborn and at some point, buildings were flattened to make what is now New Oxford Street. Things change, unfortunately.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    yeah, but you gotta admit, the overpowering smell of horse shit and human effluent and crushing poverty and social deprivation does look quaint in BBC costume dramas...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    yeah, but you gotta admit, the overpowering smell of horse shit and human effluent and crushing poverty and social deprivation does look quaint in BBC costume dramas...
    For a minute I thought you were talking about modern london...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    Ravenous said:
    57Deluxe said:
    For a minute I thought you were talking about modern london...
    How does the smell look quaint, is that what 4K is??
  • Srsly, stand on Northumberland Avenue at Embankment Gardens. There's always some hot Victorian sewer action going down on that spot and it always smells of shite.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22167
    57Deluxe said:
    Eastenders hasn't been the same since Babs left.