Footswitch with LED?

ricorico Frets: 1220
I have a switchable boost on my Matamp that I have been using with a single Marshall foot switch - is it possible to mod it so that a small LED comes on when I engage boost?

I do not know if there is power sent from the footswitch socket on the amp - is it easy to check with a meter?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    @4114Effects  has made me a couple. Excellent quality, small footprint boxes with ultra bright leds powered by a 9v inside. 

Yep had the same problem with amp with unpowered/unlit footswitches. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited March 2018
    Brightonion will offer something suitable.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72512
    It’s probably best to ask Matamp. With most amps there will be a voltage present on the footswitch circuit, but whether the current draw is in the right range to operate the switching without overloading the LED is difficult to tell. It can usually be done with resistors as well, but you may need the schematic or the amp on the bench to work it out.

If that’s all too complicated then a battery-operated LED will work, and if it’s a footswitch with a detachable cable then you can arrange it like a normal pedal so the battery is disconnected when there is no cable in the jack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

I did this for someone with an HT-5 (I think). There is not enough juice to run even a low current LED but there is enough to turn a FET on or off (depends on the actual logic of the F/S) I powered the whole thing with a 3V button Lithium.

If you buy a lucky bag of LEDs (Maplin if you are bloody quick!) and go through them with a test circuit you  will find a few that are pretty bright even at a couple of 100 MICRO amps!

Dave.