Reverb tank testing?

chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
edited March 2018 in Amps

Reverb is not working on my Cornfed Hurricane. The reverb valve is glowing, but nothing I do control or footswitch-wise is helping.

Took the tank out to see if I can see anything obvious, but it all looks OK. Can anyone tell me how I can test the thing with a meter?

It's an Accutronics (I think, cos it says Made in the USA) 9AB3C1B.

Obviously, if it's knacked, I'll have to buy another one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I just got a meter and checked the tiny little coils at either end of the tank for continuity (I assume they must be continuous?), the output end coil is open circuit, the other shows continuity. From this I guess it's goosed.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    edited March 2018
    I just got a meter and checked the tiny little coils at either end of the tank for continuity (I assume they must be continuous?), the output end coil is open circuit, the other shows continuity. From this I guess it's an Accutronics
    Edited for accuracy .

Very common fault with modern Accutronics tanks, they have a design fault. It’s almost always the output end because the coil wire is thinner and breaks more easily.

Sometimes it can be fixed, with experience and great care - but even though I always try I only have about a 2/3 success rate.

The alternative is just to replace it with a TAD or Ruby tank which don’t have this fault - you need the code number from the old one to find the right model.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632

Reverb is not working on my Cornfed Hurricane. 

Have you tried feeding it on something else? 
    :)

TAD tanks are great, tough as old boots and sound like Accutronics used to. 
    Pretty cheap upgrade too. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited March 2018

Cheers, chaps! I shall seek out a replacement.

EDIT - Ordered a TAD from Hotrox, same price as the Accutronics.