Split from the GuitarTheft thread

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27667
edited March 2018 in Off Topic
This discussion was created from comments split from: Guitar theft couple - update.

Let's try this.

Rather than derailing the original thread (again and/or even further), splinter discussions moved here.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    TTony said:
    Admin intervention.

I've just wasted 5mins of my Sunday evening clearing up a load of stupid comments here.

@shefguitar is in the cooler.

Anyone else wants to add more stupidity here, they'll join him.

@TTony I appreciate this is a burden on your time, but, you're the owner and I'd like to understand why the comment below hasn't been addressed with your sanctions? The member concerned has posted repeatedly after my querying his intentions and has not addressed it.

The bigger question in my mind is whether or not casual racism is permitted on this forum.

I would be grateful if you would review this post:

...............................................................................................................................................................................................

Dominic said:
    and I feel so humbled by having dared to suggest that the woman looked Roma ..........seems to have upset one chap
    Oh ,look it's snowing today
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27667
    clarkefan said:

@TTony I appreciate this is a burden on your time, but, you're the owner and I'd like to understand why the comment below hasn't been addressed with your sanctions? The member concerned has posted repeatedly after my querying his intentions and has not addressed it.

The bigger question in my mind is whether or not casual racism is permitted on this forum.

...............................................................................................................................................................................................

Dominic said:
    and I feel so humbled by having dared to suggest that the woman looked Roma ..........seems to have upset one chap
    @clarkefan
    How is what Dominic has written "racist"?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Ok - I’m partly to blame for this kicking off. Apologies for that. I should have kept my mouth shut and not bought wider social issues into a thread about shop lifting and it’s effects on the music trade. What we think and what we say (write) are obviously two different things. Lesson learnt. Again - no offence to anyone intended.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    clarkefan said:
    TTony said:
    Admin intervention.

I've just wasted 5mins of my Sunday evening clearing up a load of stupid comments here.

@shefguitar is in the cooler.

Anyone else wants to add more stupidity here, they'll join him.

Dominic said:
    Why? Just on so many levels. 
    You are looking for something that just isn't there.
    Let it go
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15615
    I think, in this day and age, where communication is done remotely it can hard to accurately decipher clear meaning it can be hard to ascertain what is offensive and what isn't (or at least, isn't intended to be) therefore, to be sure and certain I always knee jerk take offense as a first reaction.
    Therefore, I am offended by this thread, and by all the comments it contains, including those from people who are claiming to be offended. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    VimFuego said:
    I think, in this day and age, where communication is done remotely it can hard to accurately decipher clear meaning it can be hard to ascertain what is offensive and what isn't (or at least, isn't intended to be) therefore, to be sure and certain I always knee jerk take offense as a first reaction.
    Therefore, I am offended by this thread, and by all the comments it contains, including those from people who are claiming to be offended. 
    Ah it's you. You are a repeat offender.

Next time be more open and try a gate rather than taking offence.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    edited March 2018
    The first thread on this topic featured this from @Dominic -

"You only have to look at the woman to see where that's going unless it gets sold in Germany on the way which I would think is most likely"

In the second thread (as quoted above by @clarkefan ) he tried to put a more benign spin on it.

That is casual racism - using a guess about a person's race to claim that a fact can be drawn from it about their behaviour.

A fair few posters seem to think that is okay. I don't. It doesn't offend me, I would just rather live in a society that had less ignorance, irrationality and prejudice and, therefore, when I see it I take some action against it.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14568
    TTony said:
    Describing the appearance of somebody is not racist.

Basing assumptions about people solely on their appearance can be racist. 

Dominic's words read like, "one of the perps looks Roma, no surprise that somebody of that persuasion is on the rob." 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Whatever else they may be, they're both still thieving scumbag fuck-pigs.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Agreed.

TTony said:
    Agreed  - can be.

Dominic's words read like, "one of the perps looks Roma, no surprise that somebody of that persuasion is on the rob." 

But, the specific words quoted were;

clarkefan said:

Dominic said:

He asked me to  review that post for casual racism.

There is nothing racist in that quote.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15615
    I've found that any statement can be racist, you just have to add enough extra words. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33835
    VimFuego said:
    I've found that any statement can be racist, you just have to add enough extra words. 
    Let's test that theory: :) :) :)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Of the two thieves, it's interesting that the focus has been on the woman's ethnicity but nothing about the bloke (white, looks like an Eastender). Why is that?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26734
    mellowsun said:
    Of the two thieves, it's interesting that the focus has been on the woman's ethnicity but nothing about the bloke (white, looks like an Eastender). Why is that?
    Why is it "interesting"? Her features seem to be more indicative of ethnicity, whereas he looks more "generic European".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited March 2018
    mellowsun said:
    Why is it "interesting"? Her features seem to be more indicative of ethnicity, whereas he looks more "generic European".
    generic European is an ethnicity too. 

'She looks Roma' well, 'He looks generic European' - what's the point?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26734
    mellowsun said:
    mellowsun said:
    generic European is an ethnicity too. 

'She looks Roma' well, 'He looks generic European' - what's the point?
    Descriptions of people you want to find are useless if they apply to the majority of the population, which is why they focus on exceptions or the unusual. Seems pretty obvious to me.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    Sometimes you don't even have to add them, just assume that they're there.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    TTony said:
    Agreed.

TTony said:
    Agreed  - can be.

But, the specific words quoted were;

clarkefan said:

Dominic said:

He asked me to  review that post for casual racism.

There is nothing racist in that quote.  
    Well done @TTony for adding some much needed common sense into that debate 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Where do you think they will try to sell the guitar?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Where do you think they will try to sell the guitar?
    Surprised it hasn't popped up 17 times on eBay, all emanating from that chap in Newark nostalgically recalling his dearly departed old grandpa giving it a good twang several years before it was actually made.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom