Rough cost?

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
I know its a case of "how long is a piece of string" but...

Could one of our repair techs (@ICBM etc) give me a rough idea of what they'd charge to replace two of the slider pots on an Electro Harmonix Micro Synth pedal please? (The Square Wave and Resonance controls).

Background: bought one on ebay, and whilst there was mention of the "tip" being missing on one, no mention was made that it was smashed off and the only way to operate it would be jamming something into the guts of the pot. Also no mention of the intermittent cut out on the Square Wave control and the fact that the slider only operates on the top half of the travel. Was said to be in full working order... hmmm. So I'm pushing for a return but he's being a bit of a dick so I'm trying to get a feel for how much it would cost to have repaired. My gut feeling is its not economically viable.

Thanking you for your help. :-)
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You might want to contact John Williams, EHX offical support guy in the UK. He sorted out my out of warrenty POG2 for a very reasonable cost and with no fuss.

John Williams / Electro-Harmonix
    13 Cwmdonkin Terrace
    Swansea SA2 0RQ
    United Kingdom
    Tel : +44 179 247 3258
    Cell: +44 752 888 6326
    Email: electroharmonixuk@virginmedia.com

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    The pots themselves are only a fiver, so I can't imagine it's an expensive job

http://www.hotroxuk.com/electro-harmonix-slide-pot.html
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    Raise a case through ebay for item not as described, you'll win.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    Raise a case through ebay for item not as described, you'll win.
    Thanks - I have done. He's just messing about at the moment, so I'm just looking at options in case he comes back with that as a suggestion.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5168
    You might want to contact John Williams, EHX offical support guy in the UK. He sorted out my out of warrenty POG2 for a very reasonable cost and with no fuss.

13 Cwmdonkin Terrace
    Swansea SA2 0RQ
    United Kingdom

Surprising that the official support guy for a big brand like that (for the UK, Benelux, France and Spain no less!) is a guy at a residential property in Swansea.

It's legit- he's on the EHX website, and I'm not suggesting it reflects on his skill, more that you'd expect the official warranty service centre for a big brand like that to have business premises and constitute a full-time job for more staff than you could reasonably expect to fit in a terraced house in a residential street round the corner from Dylan Thomas' birthplace. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    You might want to contact John Williams, EHX offical support guy in the UK. He sorted out my out of warrenty POG2 for a very reasonable cost and with no fuss.

13 Cwmdonkin Terrace
    Swansea SA2 0RQ
    United Kingdom

Surprising that the official support guy for a big brand like that (for the UK, Benelux, France and Spain no less!) is a guy at a residential property in Swansea.

It's legit- he's on the EHX website, and I'm not suggesting it reflects on his skill, more that you'd expect the official warranty service centre for a big brand like that to have business premises and constitute a full-time job for more staff than you could reasonably expect to fit in a terraced house in a residential street round the corner from Dylan Thomas' birthplace. 
    Is it? Having looked into the costs of running the Line6 UK service centre after the closure of Line6 UK, its probably the only way of making money out of such a venture. Business properties are expensive and honestly for repairing small stuff, its a bit of a luxury. All thats needed is a spare room with decent lighting and ventilation (there are a lot of legislation about extraction etc for electronics businesses that are rarely followed, in my experience), plus there must be a proper facility for electronic waste removal.

Frankly, when I see swanky business properties with huge sums of money spent on making it look "professional" I think: "ah, so that's why they charge so much." Some firms spend too much on corporate stuff that is just flim flam.

Perhaps it also speaks volumes about the "perceived wisdom" that EHX stuff always goes wrong if it can be handled by one bloke. ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7213
    impmann said:

13 Cwmdonkin Terrace
    Swansea SA2 0RQ
    United Kingdom

Is it? Having looked into the costs of running the Line6 UK service centre after the closure of Line6 UK, its probably the only way of making money out of such a venture. Business properties are expensive and honestly for repairing small stuff, its a bit of a luxury. All thats needed is a spare room with decent lighting and ventilation (there are a lot of legislation about extraction etc for electronics businesses that are rarely followed, in my experience), plus there must be a proper facility for electronic waste removal.

Frankly, when I see swanky business properties with huge sums of money spent on making it look "professional" I think: "ah, so that's why they charge so much." Some firms spend too much on corporate stuff that is just flim flam.

Perhaps it also speaks volumes about the "perceived wisdom" that EHX stuff always goes wrong if it can be handled by one bloke. ;-)
    That’s a fair shout. Have owned tonnes of ehx pedals, not one of them ever caused me any problems. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5168

That’s a fair shout. Have owned tonnes of ehx pedals, not one of them ever caused me any problems. 

If it can all be handled by a single person (and it looks like it is...) then sure, why not do it in your spare room? I'm just surprised that it can, given the size of the brand- more pedals in circulation mean more repairs, even if you're just as reliable as the next brand (I deliberately avoided mentioning internet wisdom about EH's reputation on that count), and I imagine there to be a lot of EH pedals out there. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.