Flamenco guitar!! How to start?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16304
    I bought some DVD/booklet course which was good. Gave up after 6 months - tried to learn jazz & flamenco to further my playing but realised each would take a LOT of time to really get up to scratch with, and rock was my main thing.
    I can only think of two people who have used flamenco to inform their rock ( in the most general sense) playing, may be others but it isn't an area of big cross over - maybe something that's been a bit underdeveloped! Anyhoo, Robby Krieger of The Doors and Canadian blues guitarist Sue Foley who, IIRC, used a background in flamenco technique to develop blues fingerstyle and has a couple of flamenco based numbers in her live sets.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    octatonic said:
    Young.

Can't Old already, but enjoying learning.

Makes banging head against wall easy!!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33882
    rolls1392 said:
    octatonic said:
    Young.

Can't Old already, but enjoying learning.

Makes banging head against wall easy!!

Yup. ;)
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    If anything I can at least do a couple rasqeados now (I can't even bother spell checking that lol)
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 685
    I bought some DVD/booklet course which was good. Gave up after 6 months - tried to learn jazz & flamenco to further my playing but realised each would take a LOT of time to really get up to scratch with, and rock was my main thing.
    I can only think of two people who have used flamenco to inform their rock ( in the most general sense) playing, may be others but it isn't an area of big cross over - maybe something that's been a bit underdeveloped! Anyhoo, Robby Krieger of The Doors and Canadian blues guitarist Sue Foley who, IIRC, used a background in flamenco technique to develop blues fingerstyle and has a couple of flamenco based numbers in her live sets.  
    Steve Stevens is a big fan of Flamenco guitar
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Certainly a big influence for Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Larry Coreyel, Chick Corea ect and it is also hard to imagine Latin American music without the influence of Flamenco. The first musicians in Europe to use Harmonic minor scales were also Flamencos.   
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    kinda plays a part in Gabrielle y Rodrigos tunes ;) and those rawk!
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

The problem with flamenco  guitar is that is not just another style it is a way of life. The guitarist is an accompanist as well as a soloist which involves nailing the rhythm at speed and with dead accuracy - alone a lifetimes work. Flamenco guitar techniques are hard enough. I can do picado at 160 bpm in 4s that takes me 3 - 4 hours practice a day to achieve and I still cannot bloody do it in front of my teacher. With a lot and I do repeat a lot of effort I can get up to 200 bpm JUST at 4 notes per bpm. Then you listen to the late Paco di Lucia and pack it in 

Juan Serrano has done a very good DVD on accompanying dancers which give you the basic dance forms. Also check out the flamenco material on the The Guitar Studio site based in Duke St London 
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    tonyrath said:

The problem with flamenco  guitar is that is not just another style it is a way of life. The guitarist is an accompanist as well as a soloist which involves nailing the rhythm at speed and with dead accuracy - alone a lifetimes work. Flamenco guitar techniques are hard enough. I can do picado at 160 bpm in 4s that takes me 3 - 4 hours practice a day to achieve and I still cannot bloody do it in front of my teacher. With a lot and I do repeat a lot of effort I can get up to 200 bpm JUST at 4 notes per bpm. Then you listen to the late Paco di Lucia and pack it in 

Juan Serrano has done a very good DVD on accompanying dancers which give you the basic dance forms. Also check out the flamenco material on the The Guitar Studio site based in Duke St London 

Since March I have been trying to scratch the surface of flamenco. AS above, its bloody tough especially without any help.
    Still noodling through the book and beating my cheapy classical to death. Will need a proper flamenco guitar soon