Why can you eat pink duck?

What's Hot
It’s a recurring question when I watch Masterchef. I’ve never eaten duck in my life but it confuses me that pink/ underdone chicken ( and turkey, I think) is seen as inedible because it could make you seriously ill yet it’s fine for duck. 
Anyone know? 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    I don't know but it's nice. If you do ever try duck, be careful not to ask them for the bill
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    As tonight's Masterchef illustrated pink isn't the same as uncooked/under-cooked !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Ducks are generally kept in better conditions to chickens but there is still a bit of a risk.
    There is a risk with any 'undercooked' food really but chicken is more risky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4176
    I had pink duck last night, it was lovely. Dauphinoise spuds and a bit of salad. 

This morning I was in a bad mood. I thought for a while it was the duck, but then I realised it was just Monday. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Jalapeno said:
    As tonight's Masterchef illustrated pink isn't the same as uncooked/under-cooked !
    Yes, quite glad she didn’t get through. I was cheering for the Probation Officer ( having been one) who had no clue about presentation. That dessert was such a weird idea. 

octatonic said:
    Ducks are generally kept in better conditions to chickens but there is still a bit of a risk.

That was MrsTheWeary’s thought although as they, 
    presumably, would use decent free range chicken on Masterchef and ducks are reared in roughly similar conditions I’m surprised there’s much difference, or much perceived difference. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Jalapeno said:
    Yes, quite glad she didn’t get through. I was cheering for the Probation Officer ( having been one) who had no clue about presentation. That dessert was such a weird idea. 

octatonic said:

That was MrsTheWeary’s thought although as they, 
    presumably, would use decent free range chicken on Masterchef and ducks are reared in roughly similar conditions I’m surprised there’s much difference, or much perceived difference. 
    Also rare chicken doesn't taste nice.
    Pink duck does.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Different meats have different temperatures that they're served in. Tuna steak, duck breast, filet mignon or pork chop - would be cooked and served differently (also - to the order, but it's unlikely for someone who knows their food to order tender beef well done etc).
    Pink duck is tender, juicy and full of flavour whereas it would taste dry when cooked for much longer.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited March 2018
    On MC the main problem with duck is the fat. Inedible. To cook duck you need a cold pan .. score the fat and put the duck fat side down in a pan and cook it on a stove for between 8 and 12 minutes. Pop it in a hot oven for 8 minutes and rest for at least 10 minutes. Result perfect duck.

Mrs Fret does this and its perfect .. I can't cook.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Dunno - but ducks have dicks whereas most bird don't. You'd think all bird species would have similar anatomy but nope.
    Ducks can look eagles in the eye and laugh.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    I don't know but it's nice. If you do ever try duck, be careful not to ask them for the bill
    Duck goes into a chemists and asks "Do you have any lip balm?"

"Certainly sir, will you be paying cash or card?"

"Ah, just put it on my bill."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited March 2018
    Risk has reduced drastically with meat over the years. I stil wouldn't eat pink chicken but pink pork is fine.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited March 2018
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

How do you turn a duck into a soul singer?

Leave it in a microwave until its bill withers.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited March 2018
    Dunno - but ducks have dicks whereas most bird don't. You'd think all bird species would have similar anatomy but nope.
    Ducks can look eagles in the eye and laugh.
    Isn't a duck's dick a spiral....and the lady duck has a spiral that goes the other way, so she can close it off and send him down a blind alley (think that was on an Infinite Monkey Cage episode, so must be true).

Duck sex is brutal.
  • I read a report a short while back that our food hygiene is pretty much high enough to eat raw chicken soon.

Pregnant women are also now able to eat raw egg.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    edited March 2018
    I read a report a short while back that our food hygiene is pretty much high enough to eat raw chicken soon.

Pregnant women are also now able to eat raw egg.
    Really?!? Who is reporting that? Diseased chickens in supermarkets might be at an all-time high. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/15/british-supermarket-chickens-show-record-levels-of-antibiotic-resistant-superbugs
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    You can eat raw chicken in Japan. You can eat pretty much anything raw in Japan!  I’ll surprised if duck isn’t eaten raw there in some capacity.
    You can eat raw chicken in Japan. You can eat pretty much anything raw in Japan!  I’ll surprised if duck isn’t eaten raw there in some capacity.
    You can eat raw chicken here too if you want. Just not at any restaurant that wants to keep its license...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Eating the pink duck sounds a bit rude.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom