SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED: WTB: one of : Martin D-18, Martin D-28, Gibson J-45

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7529
edited May 2018 in Acoustics £
I'm in a position to purchase (used!) one of these fine iconic guitars. 

In the past I've tried them in various shops trying to decide which one is "best" or "best for me" but I've decided that just drives me mad so I may as well find a clean used example of one and live with it for a while.

Specifically I'd consider:

• Used
  • Clean (not damaged and repaired) condition - perfect is not expected
  • No structural or action issues however 'easily fixed' (eg not in need of a neck reset, sensible angle over the saddle etc) 
  • With or without pickup
  • Sensibly priced (not significantly above common used prices)

I'm in Swindon but willing to travel to collect or meet within reason.

For the J-45 I'd prefer it to be an Adirondack/Red spruce top

Happy for you to point me to any you see/know of but aren't personally vouching for too.

Thanks! 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• daddyashdaddyash Frets: 40
    Pm’d Ref the true vintage j45. 
    Thanks for the nod @brojangles ;
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7529
    Cheers man 
    Red ones are better. 
  • teamjimteamjim Frets: 31
    Selling my Martin d-18 in perfect condition only 4-5 years old with little use. Has had a LR Baggs Tru-Arc pickup (best I’ve used) installed professionally (only involves a slightly bigger hole where the jacket socket/strap pin goes, and can removed/switched out easily). Will be posting on here soon for around £1700
  • RockdogRockdog Frets: 5
    What about my 1988 Larrivee L05. Great condition, amazing tone and playability. Based in Dorset. 
    Back on this now.

Looking for options... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Tim - check out Atkin acoustics, his D models and J style are some of the best I've ever played (so much so I bought a D37 a few weeks ago). Handmade over here and a fair bit cheaper than the usual US suspects. I'll be getting one of his J styles next. Welcome to pop over and try mine if you want to see what they are like. 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I have a d 18 going cheaper than you will find 
    Tim - check out Atkin acoustics, his D models and J style are some of the best I've ever played (so much so I bought a D37 a few weeks ago). Handmade over here and a fair bit cheaper than the usual US suspects. I'll be getting one of his J styles next. Welcome to pop over and try mine if you want to see what they are like. 
    I'm hoping to find used (budget) - but tempted to come over for a try anyway :-) 
    Would be great to hear my Baranik played properly too 
    Red ones are better. 
    I have a d 18 going cheaper than you will find 
    cheers will take a look 
    Red ones are better. 
  • I'll have played that Baranik at some point I'm pretty sure, there are only so many in the UK! There are a couple of used Atkins around at the moment, two nice ones at soundaffectspremier, probably some haggle room on them too!
    argh FML - I'm trying to buy the Forty Three that Stuart mentioned but their payment system has gone fubar, taken the money twice, my bank account is empty and they think the payments failed.

So right now I can't fill my car and worse still, no new guitar - bank say even if the shop cooperate swiftly it will take 2 days to reverse the payment(s) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    My Advice would be to go and play a few. i played a couple of Hd28 when i was buying mine a 70's one a brand new one and a 2002 the 2002 stood out so much more than the others. so i purchased the 2002 Hd28.

And i had no plans to buy one that day a friend was looking for a guitar. but that guitar had to be mine it's wonderful.