Anyone using a bitcrusher?

What's Hot
MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
I need to get one and have looked a bit online but cant seem to find any bitcrushers around the £50-£100 mark (I try to stay away from Mooer)

Most seem to be £200/£250+ such as Meris, Red Panda and other boutique stuff and although they look awesome, they’re a bit to much for what i need.

Any suggestions or recommendations for bitcrushers? Any pedal builders know of any DIY builds or make them up themselves?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    The Meris is the best one I've used, but the Hotone Krush is a great cheapo one. I'll also say if you can pick up a used Catalinbread Heliotrope you can probably stay within budget, and that's a bit more interesting.
  • bean7bean7 Frets: 44
    I built this - http://www.instructables.com/id/Lo-fi-Arduino-Guitar-Pedal/

Probably cost about £50 in parts (with an Arduino nano) - I improvised a crude preamp & LM306 power amp stage before the Arduino to drive it and it sounds deliciously filthy and messed up. It would work without the preamp depending on what pedals you have before it. I did this about 8 years ago and still love it!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    You may want to consider the EQD Bit Commander.

You'll pick up a second hand one for not much more than a ton. Proper analog synth fuzz madness. 
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    By far my favourite pedal of all time is the WMD Geiger Counter. Slightly intimidating but absolutely wonderful pedal, can produce a surprising amount of varied tones. True bit crushing and sample rate reduction, occasionally they come up for around a ton. The pro version is out soon so there may be a few more of the original versions coming on the market.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    Yep I do, but afraid it’s the Meris for me too. What a pedal that is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7804
    Having just spent a very fun couple of hours with my meris pedals I'd also vote ottobit. I'e tried a few over the years, this is the only one I can make music with.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited March 2018
    Yep I do, but afraid it’s the Meris for me too. What a pedal that is. 
    That is a great pedal. Hours of fun. I wouldn't know what I'd actually use it  for but I guess I'm not the target audience
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    Thanks for the ideas and suggestions everyone. Think i’ll get a budget one to start with probably a hotone krush or similar and then save up for an Ottobit
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    A Montreal Assembly Puhzing is a slightly cheaper - but still high quality - take on the genre?

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    MrMusic said:
    Any pedal builders ... make them up themselves?
    Yes, I build the BugBrand BugCrusher under licence:
    http://www.fredric.co.uk/bugcrusher