Which broadband only provider: Talk Talk or Sky

What's Hot
Just about to change from the completely woeful, useless shit-heap that vodafone is. Looking at the latest deals for ADSL (don't need fibre) TalkTalk and Sky seem to be the cheapest unlimited at £17 and £19. All the rest start at about £25 plus. Anyone had experience with these two, which one to go for??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    I use Sky which is ok, never seem to get the speed they advertise, but works fine and is reliable.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    https://www.plus.net/

Cheaper isnt always better :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Zen.
    Faster and reliable is always better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    octatonic said:
    Zen.
    Faster and reliable is always better.
    +1 for Zen
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    Plusnet are ok, we are with them now and the connection is reliable, they used to be great for customer service but have lapsed a bit I think. Talk talk are cheap and cheerful but if anything goes wrong their customer service is about as bad as it gets. BT are plusnet with higher bills and slightly worse customer service. Not used Sky. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    I had Sky. They knocked a jumper out in the exchange and took two weeks to plug it back in, with four cancelled engineer visits along the way. They offered £2.50 in compensation, then when I closed my account they left two services running without telling me, and sent debt collectors after me.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Zen .....by far the best i used
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    I left TalkTalk years ago. I started having Broadband problems,.When I phoned, it took an age to put through to their so called "computer experts" - none of them knew that an iMac was a computer!!!!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    You're lucky to have that much choice - I had only two options where I am after Virgin dumped ADSL, TalkTalk or BT. Everyone I knew with TalkTalk had issues, so I somewhat reluctantly went with BT despite their reputation... and I have had no problems with them at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    I left TalkTalk years ago. I started having Broadband problems,.When I phoned, it took an age to put through to their so called "computer experts" - none of them knew that an iMac was a computer!!!!!
    They were correct.  It's a lady sculpting product...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Sporky said:
    I had Sky. They knocked a jumper out in the exchange and took two weeks to plug it back in, with four cancelled engineer visits along the way. They offered £2.50 in compensation, then when I closed my account they left two services running without telling me, and sent debt collectors after me.
    I've had the opposite experience with Sky; they've always had good customer service for me.
    There was an outage a few years ago, but it was BT's fault in the exchange, not Sky's.
    Right now I have Virgin as my main BB provider (just upgraded from 150 to 200 Mbps free) and Sky as a secondary.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Thanks everyone. I'll give plusnet a go
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    prowla said:
    Sporky said:
    I've had the opposite experience with Sky; they've always had good customer service for me.
    There was an outage a few years ago, but it was BT's fault in the exchange, not Sky's.
    Right now I have Virgin as my main BB provider (just upgraded from 150 to 200 Mbps free) and Sky as a secondary.
    Another vote for sky customer service. Murdoch is clearly a cunt, but I like sport/tv in general and I've been a sky customer for close to 15 years and have never had a problem with their customer service. When I moved into my new build they were the only ones who were trying to be helpful when Openreach couldn't be bothered to hook our house (and others) up to the exchange. 

I ended up having to sign up with BT for broadband for a year to get it sorted (after 8 months of living there), but moved back to sky as soon as that year was up. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Just signed up with plusnet at £18.99 a month - fingers crossed!!
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    sky aren't too bad in everything, apart from something quite important. the routers/hubs. read a few reviews comparing them to their main competitors. they are always bottom of the league, by some way. we have a hub2 atm. it's about 8 metres from one computer. the signal is lost if someone shuts the door to the room!.every review says, use the service but spend a 100 quid and buy your own router!, erm... NO!!!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    joneve said:

Another vote for sky customer service.
    Well, grand that they didn't fuck over your credit rating after cocking up closing your account, but I'd rather be without the inferwebz than ever use Sky again. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."