Can I run a Peavey Valveking 212 100w on just two power valves?

What's Hot
thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
Hey guys,

Is it possible? I know you can do it with some older Marshalls, but is it possible with this amp? It's too loud in the house and would likely be cheaper to just use a pair of valves for long term home use.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73141
    Yes, although it will make next to no difference to the volume. Remove either the inner or outer pair, and either set the impedance selector to half the value (I think that's 4 ohms, if I remember correctly - standard is 8) for the best valve life, or leave it where it is for slightly more volume reduction and a bit more compression.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    Thanks @ICBM, you're a gentleman. I've already provisionally sold the amp, but it's blown a fuse on switching on the other day. Hopefully it's one of those rare occurrences… if not I'll take it down to just a pair of valves :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom