58 and all out v NZ

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14284
in Off Topic tFB Trader
what the hell is going on - 58 all out - only 4 players stayed in longer enough to face more than 10 balls and only a 30 odd from Overton stopped it been the lowest England score ever
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That isn’t a pretty scorecard.   
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Lightning Boult strikes!!!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Bad technique?  Got up this morning and looked at Cricinfo.  I think their report said that 3 of them were bowled through the gate.  I know they have to be careful with old fashioned bat and pad together because of DRS, but I still have to think that they need to tighten up their technique.

From the report, a couple of them were out playing quite expansive shots when they should have just battened down the hatches to see off Boult and wait for the ball to stop swinging.  It's an old story, but too much one day cricket?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    LOL.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    but what a great place to pinch a few days off at this time of year...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Bad technique?  Got up this morning and looked at Cricinfo.  I think their report said that 3 of them were bowled through the gate.  I know they have to be careful with old fashioned bat and pad together because of DRS, but I still have to think that they need to tighten up their technique.

From the report, a couple of them were out playing quite expansive shots when they should have just battened down the hatches to see off Boult and wait for the ball to stop swinging.  It's an old story, but too much one day cricket?
    Of course it's too much one day cricket. If anyone here saw the WICB coverage of the England Lions in the West Indies over the last month or so, you'd have seen the evidence of how too much one day cricket has destroyed batting techniques, meaning even average spinners on a turning track look like Murali. 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I'm not sure why anyone expected anything different from the Ashes.

The one-day game is the priority for the ECB aty the moment, and selling your wicket dearly isn't part of the ODI psyche. Talking about this with friends I haven't yet found anyone who would rather we win the 50-over world cup and lose the Ashes.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    edited March 2018
    I've already lost interest in football because of the ludicrous money, diving, play acting, celeb culture, foreign owners, childishness etc.

Please don't take my test cricket away as well because of this reliance on One Day bullshit. Fucking T20 has just shat all over the sport. Soon I won't feel like watching any sport at all.

What a sad state of affairs. Fucking New Zealand for christ sake! I mean they're not exactly minnows but come on.

Fuck me, they were 27 for 9!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CaptainBbCaptainBb Frets: 17

We're not even playing at Schoolboy standard!

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22163
    Dopesick said:
    I've already lost interest in football because of the ludicrous money, diving, play acting, celeb culture, foreign owners, childishness etc.

Please don't take my test cricket away as well because of this reliance on One Day bullshit. Fucking T20 has just shat all over the sport. Soon I won't feel like watching any sport at all.

What a sad state of affairs. Fucking New Zealand for christ sake! I mean they're not exactly minnows but come on.

Test cricket has gone away. We've seen the peak in my view. Money is now too important to the powers that be. Seeing the fucked up ECB decision making over franchises and international grounds that has led to Andy Nash quitting demonstrates that. 

Sides do not prepare for Test series as they used to, hence low scores happening like this. Don't forget how Australia were rolled out for sod all a few years back. 

And then 2016.

And then obviously Trent Bridge on another moving wicket with Broad running riot.  

Test cricket right now is very very poor and it's because we do not have scheduling that maximises performances at Test level. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15506
    to be fair though, if our rugby team went to NZ and scored 58 we'd be over the moon. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22163
    VimFuego said:
    to be fair though, if our rugby team went to NZ and scored 58 we'd be over the moon. 
    After the 6N performances this year, 58 past the Isle of Wight might be a cause for celebration. 

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Dopesick said:

I don’t suppose you’d mind expanding this in layman’s terms to someone who knows nothing about cricket please? Thanks.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    The bastards bowled straight, pitched it up and swung it at pace.

thats cheating, plain and simple.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    As long as England take the positives from it, use the learning and move on, they’ll be fine...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    Garthy said:
    Dopesick said:

I don’t suppose you’d mind expanding this in layman’s terms to someone who knows nothing about cricket please? Thanks.
    Test cricket is great (5 Days, proper tactics, more endurance, encourages more skillful batting/bowling, requires proper patience) and ODIs/T20s (sloggers game, they wear pyjamas, white ball = FALSE) are mostly shit.

Unfortunately all the money is in ODIs and T20s because it's fast, 'modern' (ugh), appealing to youngsters and exciting to watch in shorter bursts. Basically, it's cricket for people who don't like cricket.

Yes I am over generalising a bit but hopefully you get the point.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Absolutely pathetic. Totally embarrassing. I had to turn the radio of every time they started talking about it today.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Gassage said:

What do you mean 'bowled straight', 'pitched it up', 'swung it at pace'.

It is the batsmans job to defend his wicket.  And to score runs.  The bowler needs to bowl more or less straight at the wicket or else what is the point?

I never played cricket and I learned what little I know of the game from watching it on TV while I was in hospital [in 1979].  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Rocker said:
    Gassage said:

What do you mean 'bowled straight', 'pitched it up', 'swung it at pace'.

It is the batsmans job to defend his wicket.  And to score runs.  The bowler needs to bowl more or less straight at the wicket or else what is the point?

I never played cricket and I learned what little I know of the game from watching it on TV while I was in hospital [in 1979].  
    You might have learned something about cricket but you haven't learned about people taking the piss yet!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    The irony went past him like a New Zealand delivery!