Keith Richards = Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    @Winny_Pooh that's a good interview. His documentary on Netflix is also worth a watch.

I'm not the greatest fan of that style of music, but to me he comes across as really passionate about his music, the music that inspired him, and the history behind it all.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    edited March 2018
    I don't like Rap for reasons other than the reasons for which I don't like Country, 19th Century music from the "classical" tradition, and quite a lot of 'pop'. For those kinds of music they are not to my taste. Rap is different. Most people would agree that music consists of rhythm, melody, and harmony; these elements are present in different proportions when you consider for example the differences between Indian music and Renaissance polyphony, but I think you can argue that all 3 elements do exist in some form. You can't say that about Rap. I'm not saying it isn't entertainment or that it can't carry a message, but it does strike me more as poetry accompanied by a drum beat, and as such two vital elements are missing: melody and harmony. Hence I 100% agree with Keef. (Cue protests from rap lovers ...)
    It's fine not to like rap. It's stupid or arrogant or snobbish to dismiss it. Plenty of rap has sung sections and there are hooks.. or music underneath. The vocal delivery is not the be all and end all.

I'm no rap lover but occasionally you hear something and it's just awesome. Every genre has its highlights.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    My Grandad used to say the Rolling Stones were just a load of noise. And my dad used to call the music I listened to as a teen a load of noise. The previous generation look down on the youth with no foundation to their arguments, just bloated old reactionaries pissing into the void.

Try to keep an open mind.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    My favourite Keef quote has to be...

I draw the line at elephants - even with trousers on

(Keef talking about the Stones’ increasingly elaborate stage shows)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't like Rap for reasons other than the reasons for which I don't like Country, 19th Century music from the "classical" tradition, and quite a lot of 'pop'. For those kinds of music they are not to my taste. Rap is different. Most people would agree that music consists of rhythm, melody, and harmony; these elements are present in different proportions when you consider for example the differences between Indian music and Renaissance polyphony, but I think you can argue that all 3 elements do exist in some form. You can't say that about Rap. I'm not saying it isn't entertainment or that it can't carry a message, but it does strike me more as poetry accompanied by a drum beat, and as such two vital elements are missing: melody and harmony. Hence I 100% agree with Keef. (Cue protests from rap lovers ...)

I am not convinced I can think of any rap I own that does not contain rhythm, melody and harmony. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    As I read the article these are his collected sayings from across the years? He was on the news the other day for slagging off Mick Jagger, he’s someone without much of a filter but then he’s had an abnormal life by most standards so maybe not had to develop one. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24342
    HAL9000 said:
    Lodious said:
    I love some of his music, but after reading his autobiography, I think he's a tool. 
    ^ Absolutely this.
    Me too.  I was disappointed with his Autobiography.  Egotistical knobhead.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    HAL9000 said:
    My favourite Keef quote has to be...

I draw the line at elephants - even with trousers on

(Keef talking about the Stones’ increasingly elaborate stage shows)
    I think someone's gonna have to let this chap down gently:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLBa3dRV4AAFQEa.jpg

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    And now Rod Stewart is getting in on the act:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43513895

Putting the boot into Elton John's farewell tour LOL  ;)

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    This will all be very familiar to those of us with elderly relatives in care homes.
    It sounds exactly like bored, demented old crones bitching about each other in the day room. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    He was absolutely right about "white boy blues in general"
    FTFY. :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited March 2018
    Anyone curious what he thinks of Joe Bonamassa?

At least they're on the same page about ticket prices.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Nitefly said:
    And now Rod Stewart is getting in on the act:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43513895

Putting the boot into Elton John's farewell tour LOL  ;)

They've been at it for nearly fifty years, haven't they? I'd be more surprised if there had been no comment at all,
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Lodious said:
    I love some of his music, but after reading his autobiography, I think he's a tool. 
    I got the impression he was a drug addict who happens to play guitar in one of the biggest bands of all time. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom