Voodoo octave

What's Hot
TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
Got one of these t’other day. I know two of the caps are backwards and need to be rotated for the octave part to work properly...

i opened it it up and heated the solder on the underside of the board where they sit but even with a fair bit of force pulling with pliers they wouldn’t come out.

Am I missing a trick on how to remove these/is the mod definitely worthwhile?

:)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    I don't know about the mod, but something that ought to help get the caps out is a solder sucker. It'll only cost a couple of quid and will likely come in handy again in future. You're going to need some fresh solder for when you put them back in too.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Tavernor said:
    Got one of these t’other day. I know two of the caps are backwards and need to be rotated for the octave part to work properly...

i opened it it up and heated the solder on the underside of the board where they sit but even with a fair bit of force pulling with pliers they wouldn’t come out.

Am I missing a trick on how to remove these/is the mod definitely worthwhile?

:)
    Mod is defintely worth it, makes it sound a lot better and useable. Don't recall any problems doing it myself, but as english_bob says a solder sucker would probably help. Alternatively I sometimes stick a small watch screwdriver inbetween the two legs of the cap and heat the solder while levering with the screwdriver.
    In addition to the reversing the polarity of the electrolytic caps, there is also a mod involving swapping cap C3 (100n) with C13 (47n). This mod gives a better/tighter mid range.
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    Many thanks guys, I’ll revisit tomorrow..
    Octafish said:
    In addition to the reversing the polarity of the electrolytic caps, there is also a mod involving swapping cap C3 (100n) with C13 (47n). This mod gives a better/tighter mid range.
    Going to revisit this today with the screwdriver trick - I’ve ordered a solder sucker off eBay but that’s a few days away. If I encounter success should I be doing this while I’m in there?
    Tavernor said:
    Octafish said:
    Going to revisit this today with the screwdriver trick - I’ve ordered a solder sucker off eBay but that’s a few days away. If I encounter success should I be doing this while I’m in there?
    Sorry, forgot to say I did do the mod above and it was worth it. Quite an easy one to reverse if you don't like it.
    See the pedal help thread unfortunately..! Not sure how I’ve gone wrong :anguished: 
  • danodano Frets: 1594
    Don' forget when you remove teh cap to add some solder to the solder joint before removing it. The fresh flux in the new solder will help the sucker