Volume pedal with only a dial and a switch (not classic wah/vol format style)?

BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
I'm looking for a little, single knob, true bypass volume pedal that will have exactly the same effect as rolling down my guitar's volume knob, ie keeping the treble, not muddying up. I guess something like the EHX Signal Pad, but better perhaps. I understand it can get muddy by not keeping the highs. 

I'm not looking for a wah format style volume pedal. I'd like a switch and a dial. Can anyone recommend anything? I'd imagine it's a simple build circuit, that just requires the right components to act like a volume knob.
I know some light OD pedals can be used to this effect but there isn't much space between unity gain and below, plus it can impose the pedals tone on the signal.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    There's any number of small builders selling these on eBay.

Or, Bright Onion have a good rep and do one ...

http://www.brightonion.co.uk/volume/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    They're easy enough to build, but without some kind of treble-pass circuitry they *will* cut treble - it's inevitable with a passive volume pot with a capacitive cable following it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    edited March 2018
    ICBM said:
    They're easy enough to build, but without some kind of treble-pass circuitry they *will* cut treble - it's inevitable with a passive volume pot with a capacitive cable following it.
    Yes, this seems to be the way. Or perhaps mod one with a cap for treble bleed. I'd quite like to try my hand at building one. Most enclosures aren't pre-drilled though it seems.

What would be the wisdom. See what's in my guitar and basically copy that values, cap and all?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    Your probably be better off using a 1M pot rather than a 500K as the pot in the pedal is in parallel with the pot in the guitar and thus "loading" the pickup 
    With treble bleed caps I've always found it's hard to get a value that does the job without sounding thinner when the pots turned down. A better way to do it would be guitar signal into buffer - volume pot after buffer
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9648
    One of the fuzzdog one-transistor booster kits would do a good job of this, assuming you can it turn it down below unity gain.
    Hmm just noticed the Mad Professor Underdrive. Looks essentially like an EQ pedal. Would an EQ pedal with a volume work? ie lower the volume and boost the mids/highs to bring them back into the lowered signal. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Not sure I understand that EWS one. Might as well use your own volume knob, which i'm trying to avoid.

I was just trying the master channel of a Super Duper and that seemed to work. So something like a Channel 2 would also work, as a single footswitch option.
    I'm in two minds though, to reduce volume after my Muff (same tone but quieter), or to reduce the signal into it, giving more of an overdriven, less fuzzy sound.