Strawberries for the King....

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
...and Mr Churchill. Entry in my Grandfather's flight log in May 1945. 

Was looking through it yesterday, he trained on small fixed wing army aircraft in 1941 and saw service during WW2 and flew helicopters at Suez in 1956. Amazing record of his flying life. 

Grandfather's flight log https://imgur.com/gallery/gfoRW
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Big Wow!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    That’s awesome :) Watched the 100 Years of the RAF programme on the Beeb last night - those chaps like your Grandfather were amazing to get in those planes and fly the way they did. Heroes, the lot of them! 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Brilliant. Lovely handwriting too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    He flew with Captain Warburton, who as we all know went on to make bread!

Also, that's awesome :)
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    PC_Dave said:
    That’s awesome :) Watched the 100 Years of the RAF programme on the Beeb last night - those chaps like your Grandfather were amazing to get in those planes and fly the way they did. Heroes, the lot of them! 
    Oh! Didn't see that, thanks for the tip.

My Grandad was Army, so more spying, moving and shifting troops and gear than air combat but I think he would have been a target nonetheless!

It's amazing reading his log book of his training in 1941. Knowing you were training during war time is something I struggle to get my head around. 

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Fuengi said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Oh! Didn't see that, thanks for the tip.

My Grandad was Army, so more spying, moving and shifting troops and gear than air combat but I think he would have been a target nonetheless!

It's amazing reading his log book of his training in 1941. Knowing you were training during war time is something I struggle to get my head around. 

I just think they were all incredible - you wouldn’t get that kind of heroism from “normal” people these days if it ever came to it. 

Thanks for sharing the story :)
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Fuengi said:

I remember reading somewhere, probably the JG26 War Diaries, that Army Austers were considered a high priority target, as they directed allied artillery and reported German troop movements. Apparently they were incredibly difficult to shoot down, due to their slow speed and high manoeuvrability.
    Must have been a nerve-wracking task to say the least!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    That's a great piece of family history to possess.