Why i wont use Fedex

What's Hot
ChaosJunky135ChaosJunky135 Frets: 11
edited March 2018 in Amps
So after a bit of thinking i went ahead and got a Bluesbreaker, I ordered it From GAK as a b stock knowing about a bit of damage that it already had. However when it arrived it had sadly not survived the terrible journey with fedex and was smashed to bits. The upside to this is that GAK could not be more helpful in allowing me to return this amp in person this time and replaced it no question with another at about £200 more than i paid originally. Even if i did give the staff a bit of a shock as i walked through the door with it tucked under one arm haha 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72540
    The bad news is that all courier companies are the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

I have been quite lucky in the past as this is the first time i have had something arrive to me broken 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6717
    FedEx are joining forces with UPS. The new company will be called FedUPS. 

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    I couldn't see the pictures earlier...

Was it shipped in just that thin box, with no other packaging? If so that's the shop's fault not Fedex's.

It also has to be said that the Bluesbreaker is a very poor design structurally - the whole weight of the very heavy chassis is held only by those six woodscrews in the back. If the amp has been apart more than a few times it isn't unusual for the threads in the wood to be quite worn or even stripped completely - at the very least, they should be bolts with T-nuts behind the side rails.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2592
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Was it shipped in just that thin box, with no other packaging? If so that's the shop's fault not Fedex's.

It also has to be said that the Bluesbreaker is a very poor design structurally - the whole weight of the very heavy chassis is held only by those six woodscrews in the back. If the amp has been apart more than a few times it isn't unusual for the threads in the wood to be quite worn or even stripped completely - at the very least, they should be bolts with T-nuts behind the side rails.
    Wis awarded, that is one heavy amp mounted in a pretty poor way, T-nuts would be a good call
  • ICBM said:

No it was double boxed took it out whilst unpacking it, but i have to agree with the construction the 
     chassis is incredibly heavy for just a few screws 
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    That must be why they call it the blues...ahem..breaker ;)
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    Yodel?
    jpfamps said:
    ICBM said:
    Yodel?
    I haven't personally seen anything damaged by Yodel yet, nor had anything lost by them - although I don't doubt they do, from what other people say.

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    My last 3 amp transactions..

To Belgium - DHL (Lonestar combo, damaged)
    To England - DPD (jmp head, damaged)
    From Scotland - UPS (Lonestar head, damaged)

All more than adequately packed with polystyrene, bubble wrap and heavy duty cardboard boxes.

Its worth noting that all the amps took at least an extra 24 hours to arrive from what was originally selected. I’d also add that I believe conveyor belt systems in sorting depots are to blame for a lot of damages. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I’ve had two different Rocker 15 combos delivered from GAK to Aberdeen (and one of them sent back the other way) and fedex were absolutely fantastic.
  • I’ve only ever had one amp damaged in transit and that was Parcelforce. It was a Marshall 100/100 Power amp shipped in a flight case. They had actually managed to break the flight case as well as the 100/100

apart from that I’ve shipped all over the world with a variety of couriers (including a Cornford Mk50 to Thailand) and never had anything damaged or received anything damaged
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27168
    I've had a bunch of stuff shipped internationally (to and from) and always been happy with UPS and Fedex. 

The key things are that packing the item really really well is hugely important, and that all couriers are actually quite similar
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528

Clearly not the couriers fault based on that photo. Pack an amp in just cardboard - it is going to get damaged!
  • DrSpockDrSpock Frets: 36
    jpfamps said:
    ICBM said:
    Yodel?
    I can give you a list of f***-ups from Yodel if you like - failed collections / deliveries / lost items / water damaged etc.