Power supply fix for amp hum?

What's Hot
svejksvejk Frets: 148
edited March 2018 in Amps
Hi there,

I just got a brilliant Orange Rocker 30 for my son (lucky boy!). When we got it home, it was buzzing (60hz hum) pretty badly...cable plugged in, with or without guitar.

Tried in a socket in a different part of the house...bingo, the buzz is gone. So not an amp problem...not entirely surprised as it's an old house.

So what's the best fix? Would a power conditioner sort it? Ideally a 4 gang type thing. Anyone got any recommendations, not too expensive?

Thanks a lot!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2293
    I would get your house wiring checked - could be something dangerous like a missing earth connection at the noisy socket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72531
    What Keefy said - find and fix the problem with the house wiring.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• svejksvejk Frets: 148
    OK,  thanks guys. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2293
    edited April 2018
    Could also be noise from an appliance sharing the same ring main or spur, especially if it's something with a motor like a fridge or washing machine. Assuming your noisy socket is actually safe, you could plug the amp into that, then have someone unplug each appliance in turn to see if the noise stops. Do you get the same noise with different amps?

DISCLAIMER: I am not an electrician!
    Keefy said:
    Could also be noise from an appliance sharing the same ring main or spur, especially if it's something with a motor like a fridge or washing machine.
    Or a computer power supply, mobile phone charger or one of the various other gadgets a teenager is likely to have these days.

But I would still get the socket checked as a first priority.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• svejksvejk Frets: 148
    There's a dimmer switch in there too which i know cause all kinds of fun. I will get the wiring looked at ... I was hoping there was some kind of ac conditioner I could plug in in the meantime.
    svejk said:
    There's a dimmer switch in there too which i know cause all kinds of fun. I will get the wiring looked at ... I was hoping there was some kind of ac conditioner I could plug in in the meantime.
    Not that will be any sensible price and as effective as finding the source of the problem. If it's noise from something like a dimmer it won't fix that anyway, since it's not transmitted via the wiring.

• dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 574
    edited April 2018
    Had a similar problem and had full electrics check to be safe - wasn't anything wrong with that side. It was a couple of dimmers and other devices causing the issues.