SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

PSA - Nice looking WEM 1x12 cab (HH speaker) on eBay

Don't see these too often.  WEM 1x12.  If I remember correctly, WEM cabs were pretty solidly built.  Original speaker has been replaced with a 16ohm HH speaker.  I'm tempted... as part of a tiny, low-cost rig for rehearsals - under an Orange Tiny Terror or Marshall 2061x (especially when I think what I've paid in the past for a couple of Boogie 1x12s)... but my wife has other ideas (seems to think it's more important to have some space left in the house for furniture!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WEM-12-Monitor-Simple-as-That-Vintage-Audio-Kit-/271430608466?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item3f32866652

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    In my experience the cabs are usually pretty "rough and ready" finish wise but do the job well. Something like this (1x12), as you say, doesn't come up very often.

Would actually go very well with the WEM amp I just bought. ;) Wont be bidding though, spent my budget. :)
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Ah, from the good old days of 12-ohm speakers. Last seen when there were 240 pennies in the pound. Jerseys for goalposts, etc
  • Yes indeed.... the days of jumpers for goalposts - knitted by one's mum or grannie (no designer labels on 'goalposts' in them days!)
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Have you guys seen the new WEM stuff? AFAIK they brought out a new line for NAMM
  • Didn't know WEM was back in production.  Can't find anything about them online.  Who owns the company now?  A nice... lowish-cost, tape-based CopiCat would be good to see back in production.
  • New WEM stuff?!
    I read about the Dominator reissues that were done a while back.
    How are they going to retail a new line, when the original stuff still sells for very reasonable prices second hand i wonder?
    The Dominator reissues were done by Barry Spong who knew Charlie Watkins personally. But if WEM has been relaunched as a brand, it's some new setup, as Barry Spong passed away a few years ago.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    http://www.hiwatt.com/index.php/products/little-rigs/85-products/signature-series/121-hiwatt-little-d-rig

seems like Hiwatt are involved somehow. You can only get them through the hiwatt custom shop! Doesn't look like WEM have relaunched though, which is a shame
    Uh-oh. That means that it's now associated with YouKnowWho. :(

Why do people keep doing business with these criminals?
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    goldtop said:
    Uh-oh. That means that it's now associated with YouKnowWho. :(

Why do people keep doing business with these criminals?

Do you think MG have got legal permission from Charlie Watkins, (who I believe still owns the WEM name) to do this?

I'd have thought so - simply because messrs Harrison must surely be trying to remain squeaky clean?