Anybody here changed career or learnt a trade in their mid 30s or later?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited April 2018
    Hello
    I was a self-employed guitar teacher for 12 yrs from the mid-1980s, based in Guildford. For the 1st decade it was great - hard work but mostly rewarding - but I then made a couple of mistakes. Moved to the wrong part of town, wrong side of the A3 and too far away from bus/rail links for potential customers....and also hooked up with a (slightly dodgy) business which employed guitar teachers in schools.
    Teaching in schools was something I should never have done - very stressful, you get a cold every 6 wks - and I got burnt out and completely fed up within 2 yrs. Then the ACM started up in Guildford and I took the decision to close my business in 1997 - by that time I had neighbours from hell too.
    Fortunately I'd learned basic grade 1 typing as I saw the IT revolution coming. I relocated to Farnham and (to my own surprise) got a job as a trainee computer programmer....but the firm went bust and I was made redundant. I hated computer programming anyway, was lousy at it.
    Back into temp work, light industrial, finally got a good job in education admin (due to my teaching skills and experience) where I stayed for the next 13 yrs until redundancy and early retirement end of 2014. I put as much salary as I could into the pension scheme and into paying off my home, and that has made all the difference.
    I say follow your heart, do not stay in a job you hate if you can see an alternative. Always pay your NI stamp and do not lie on your CV.
    Good luck, best wishes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24467
    Do you like planes ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom