Does anyone have more than one of the same amp?

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1642
As per the title - Does anyone have more than one of the same amp. 

I would be keen to know why as to me it doesn't make sense to have two identical amps. Bonamassa does it, but i suspect this is due to a need for volume rather than tone (he uses a Bassman and Tweed twins both x2). 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31869
    I've gigged a pair of Jet City Custom 22s for a couple of years, and now I'm gigging a Custom 22 and a 20H. 

The 20H has an identical power section to the 22 and I'm running both from the FX send of the 22, effectively giving me two identical amps. 

It works night after night, literally just a line check then go. 

I have other amps to give me different flavours, but when you find your perfect gigging amp it's wise to stick with it. I dabbled with other amps at the end of last year and it was a big waste of time and money. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12283
    I have two Blackstar ID Core amps, a 10 and a 20, but I'm sellnig the 10 to my cousin who is getting into the playing game, which should be good for a jam :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1049
    I used to have two Mesa Boogie DC5's when I gig'ed with them - one was a backup - don't remember the backup ever getting used TBH :)

Oddly one sounded better than the other, even with the same cabs, tubes etc. one just sounded better! I eventually sold the back up, since I'm not really giging at the moment.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1494
    I used to have a pair of identical Twins (arf) and a pair of JCM800 half stacks. Having two identical amps makes perfect sense if you want stereo, or need an identical backup on tour. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited April 2018
    almost. I have a 1967 Black Flag plexi and a 1968 "ordinary" plexi, both bought cheap during the 1980s when nobody wanted old single channel valve amps with no FX loop and no built-in FX. They both stay at home now, (although I have previously gigged with one or the other) as their mains inlets would fail PAT, likewise one of the power leads has shrink wrap on it which as far as I'm concerned is fine for home use and possibly the occasional gig but which the H&S bureaucrats don't like. They're not quite identical but they both are mid 60s 45W single channel valve amps with no FX. Natch neither is for sale

I also have a Harley-Benton GA5 which I have enjoyed since the day I got it, plus an Epiphone Valve Junior which I bought from @TTony. I believe they are the same product but the GA5 has a tone control which the VJ doesn't.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10517

This is my go-to pub gig classic rock setup, 2 X Blackstar HT5'2 but only for redundancy as one mic'ed up is generally fine 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited April 2018
    I seem to remember some forumite his name something along  the lines of Harold eight, may have one or two amps the same, but I could have made that up D
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16333
    The chap I used to know who played in a ( successful) Christian rock band used to have a stereo effects rack running into identical Boogie combos ( I forget which ones). From what I recall he almost never gigged with them like that; too big for local venues and for the Christian rock festivals they did it was usually provided backline anyway. Sounded immense in his dining room though! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    I used to have two Mesa Trem-o-verbs...

There was a small amount of method in the madness :) - the amp can be run with either 6L6s or EL34s, and the EL34s suit the 'vintage' modes better whereas the 6L6s suit the 'modern' modes better. So by having two I could choose which I used based on which modes I wanted, and if I'd used them both live I could have had four channels, all optimised for those sounds.

It was also interesting to see how *little* difference the power valve type makes when the amp is set for a 'neutral' sound too - the differences only really became obvious when deliberately setting them more in a 'Marshall' or a 'Fender' direction.

The combined weight of the two was 196lb, by the way! I don't own either of them now :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    I don't have identical amps but I do have 2 Marshall 1x12 combo's and a further 2 "Marshall style" 1x12 combos from other builders.

A bit crazy really as they can all sound very close to each other and whichever one I play i'm dialling in the same plexi type tone anyway.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31085
    If you're running a true stereo rig, you need 2 amps the same. Simps.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31085
    p90fool said:
    Julian,

Can you confirm precisely where to mic these pls?

J.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hi James, just next to the More Than logo, innit. 

:)
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 826
    guilty,
    4 Marshall class 5's, 2 heads, 2 combos, 4 different colours, 2  stock, 2  RAT mod'ed.
    don't take up too much room anyway.
    cheers
    andy k

• newi123newi123 Frets: 902
    p90fool said:
    Are  your knobs inverted? That`d drive me INSANE!!!!!!! :-)
    newi123 said:
    p90fool said:
    Are  your knobs inverted? That`d drive me INSANE!!!!!!! :-)
    I never touch them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2269
    I like vox type amps on the edge of breakup, so I have 4 watt 15 watt and 30 watt options.I've tried other amps and don't like them.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1642
    slacker said:
    I like vox type amps on the edge of breakup, so I have 4 watt 15 watt and 30 watt options.I've tried other amps and don't like them.
    I’m in total agreement - having an amp with EL84’s in is key for me
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1462
    Yep. Two 60's AC30 top boosts for stereo loveliness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom