Anyone have experience with THR10c or Super Champ XD/X2 ?

What's Hot
formosformos Frets: 0
I'm currently still deciding on the which amplifier to get. At the moment, I'm really interested in either Yamaha's THR10c or Fender's Super Champ XD or 2X.

Tones I'm after:
that slow soulful modern blues sound,  <-- most important
Stevie Ray Vaughn,
David Gilmour,
Gary Moore <-- a bit more on the hi-gain side (Still Got The Blues, Separate Ways)

While the THR10c is more of a niche amp with a focus on blues, does anyone know if it's possible to get a high gain sound out of it by using some sort of pedal so I can get that Gary Moore tone? I do really like the blues sound it creates though. Some of the youtube videos I've seen of this amp are pretty incredible. On top of that, it can directly connect to a sound source and play backingtracks and directly record my session into a DAW on the computer which I can then show others and get some quick feedback and critiques. (still just a newbie)

Super Champ XD/2X on the other hand seems pretty versatile, so i'll be able get both the blues and the Gary Moore sound right out of the box. However, I don't know if its blues sounds are better than Yamaha THR10c's in terms of quality of sound or whether it offers a diverse set of blues tones.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    I have the THR5 if you want to be able to get some metal sounds from the THR then a straight 10 may be better for you.  With the software you can do endless tweaking and save a few (I think it might be 5) presets onto the amp if you can't dial in the bluesy sound you want.

I have only played the Super Champ for 20 minutes or so and I ruled it out for the yamaha, others may love it though.  Has more traditional amp look if thats your thing.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    If you want gain on a THR10, then try the THR10X - the green one.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27182
    I have a 10C. It's great for low gain stuff. High gain obviously not so easy, but it takes pedals quite well. A tubescreamer into the marshall model might be enough, but it's maybe a little more "Angus Young with cranked Plexi" than "GM into JCM800"

(no idea what Moore actually used, btw, it's possible he was a JTM+pedals guy?)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    like this you mean??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2699
    Loved my superchamp xd
  • I'm afraid I haven't played the super champ XD, however I have recently picked the THR10 over the THR10C because it was more versatile, it can get really nice cleans to high-gain dirt. I can get a good SRV tone out of it and primarily play blues (SRV and Hendrix) some red hot chili peppers and John Mayer and I think it covers these bases well.

When I tried the THR10C, I just couldn't get much gain out of it and found it to be a very clean amp.

It's best to try A/B the amps you are interested in
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    I've got a THR10C and a Super Champ X2, both are great at very different things.  I don't think they are usefully comparable in terms of 'tone'.

If you're listening to amp demos on Youtube and want to sound exactly like they do over headphones or your PC speakers get the Yamaha.  If you want to sound like what those amps would actually sound like in the room get the Super Champ.  The difference between those two things in terms of how you can use them and the experience of listening to them is way more important and relevant than any tonal difference you're going to find.

The THR is great at headphone to bedroom volumes, the Super Champ is great at bedroom to rehearsal volumes.  If you know how loud you're wanting to be, you'll know which one is the right choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I have the THR10C for late night noodling but I should have gone for the THR10 as I had one before and loved it. I thought it might be a change to try the THRC because of the "classic" type sounds but I actually preferred the original.
    Good luck! 
  • I have a super champ x2. And it puts a smile on my face every time I plug in.not had loads of experience with valve amps though ,so can't give you any comparison's...what I will say, if you try one and buy it.hook it up to your lap top for changing settings and there is a mid control in the  fuse software not actually featured on the amp . And the deep settings for the effects are actually pretty good, also changeable on the fuse software. Well impressed with it  ;)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    57Deluxe said:
    like this you mean??

It also helps if you can play properly .. he's a talented guitarist.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!