Car insurance

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4302
    edited April 2018
    PC_Dave said:
    I think all insurances are a swindle
    You bet the insurance company that something bad will happen. If it doesn't you lose your bet. If it does, the insurance company does its damnedest to wriggle out of paying up.

And (legal stuff aside), it's all predicated on fear: "what if ...?" (your washing machine floods the kitchen, someone breaks in, you get ill, your spouse dies etc).
    There's sod-all margin in motor insurance.  It's cut-throat.

They do scrape it back elsewhere though, mainly on standard block-rated policies for other things (holidays, cats) and add-ons for your motor (legal protection cover, breakdown).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited April 2018
    I am Gobbenschmakered this year on my renewal!! I went through TopCashback using a Confused.com deal of £30.30 back off my 1st premium. Earlier I did a compare scan (and got £2.30 for doing so!) and saw I could get my FullyComp loaded policy for just £106 but couldn't get this on the £30.30 so did it through my Partner's TopCash account and got my Policy with Saga - just same but for £114 then Less the £30.30 and then less £2.30

£81.10

That'll do nicely!!

Grand Vitara 4x4
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I am Gobbenschmakered this year on my renewal!! I went through TopCashback using a Confused.com deal of £30.30 back off my 1st premium. Earlier I did a compare scan (and got £2.30 for doing so!) and saw I could get my FullyComp loaded policy for just £106 but couldn't get this on the £30.30 so did it through my Partner's TopCash account and got my Policy with Saga - just same but for £114 then Less the £30.30 and then less £2.30

£81.10

That'll do nicely!!

Grand Vitara 4x4
    Christ alive.  I've just swapped my 11-year-old car for one that's nine months old, much higher spec and considerably quicker.  I was amazed that the premium only went up by about £90.

I shall come to you for advice at renewal time :)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12438
    57Deluxe said:

£81.10

That'll do nicely!!

Grand Vitara 4x4
    Wow that is cheap, are you sure its insurance you bought : )

You must be in that window of mature enough not to be hand brake turning and road raging but not so old you get the pedals confused and plough through shop windows!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2802
    randella said:
    57Deluxe said:

£81.10

That'll do nicely!!

Grand Vitara 4x4
    Christ alive.  I've just swapped my 11-year-old car for one that's nine months old, much higher spec and considerably quicker.  I was amazed that the premium only went up by about £90.

I shall come to you for advice at renewal time :)
    I was with Churchill few years ago, when we went from a 12 year old focus, to a 6 month old Peugeot SUV.  They gave me money back when I phoned them to transfer to the new car ?!

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited April 2018
    my Mum is 83 and added her friend  of 71 onto her policy (so she can do Hospital runs for her)  3 months before expiry - she got £23.88 sent back to her in the post!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

£81.10

That'll do nicely!!

Grand Vitara 4x4
    Yeah, but it’s a Suzuki....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2469
    This thread prompted me to do comparison, and it turns out my car is very expensive to insure for what it is (a not overly quick estate). Turns out I might as well drive something a lot quicker and it wouldn't cost me any more..

Seriously looking at a 2016 A4 3.0 quattro.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited April 2018
    Adding my wife - who hasn't driven for 15 years - reduces my policy by about £50.
    I have to switch to a new insurer every year to keep the bloody cost down - me and the car are both ancient too.