Bear Grylls - The Island

What's Hot
So these two groups "rich" and "poor" split and I wanted the working class group to do well.

But in a sad representation of modern society, the majority of the poor group have shown themselves to be exactly all that is wrong with society so far.

The rich group handing shares of their food to the poor to keep them going 

Discuss
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    You couldn't pay me to watch stuff like that. There's good and bad in all walks of life I guess and they just ended up with a few dodgy ones.
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Watched a couple of the previous series, but this was so nakedly set up to generate conflict that I couldn’t be bothered. It’s basically Wife Swap on an island.
  • handily it has shown that rich folks are far better than poor folks, and the poor have only themselves to blame.  Would it be overly optimistic to hope the show goes on to illustrate that with an improved diet, education and some hope the poor do way better and manage to overcome all that is stacked against them.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I'm not sure who's worse, the people that are in it, or the people who watch it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Of course the other side of the coin could be seen as the Poor folks demonstrated the jind of behaviour that ensures their ongoing predicament, whilst the rich demonstrate that being better  etc etc   is the difference between being rich and poor
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12462
    I'm not sure who's worse, the people that are in it, or the people who watch it.
    The people in it definitely - ahem.  To be fair half the poor people are fine, what it has really shown is the overweight people have no energy in hot climates with no food.

Its all editing, the first episode showed how snobby and intolerant the rich people were the second showed how useless the fat people were.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    munckee said:

Its all editing, the first episode showed how snobby and intolerant the rich people were the second showed how useless the fat people were.
    You are not wrong there! My wife knew this lovely friendly guy who was on some show (Dine with me???) and they really edited him to look like the bad guy. They are goaded into being a bit brutal on the others then all the lighter stuff is edited out 
  • Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    They are all scratting around in the dirt for a maggot to eat, while "Bear" is high stepping around the residents lounge, swilling champagne and fine dining in 5 star luxury, he has already been rumbled for this before, he's a fraud, and if I'm honest a bit of a twatt.
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    I always feel that Bear Grylls' programmes fit into the category of 'Big Brother' and 'I'm a Celeb...' and are just using 'survival' as a backdrop for a bit of psychodrama. I've watched a few but just come away looking for Ray Mears on YT (or more recently the Primitive Technology channel) - far more satisfying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I saw a sign outside a church with Bear Grylls on it, where he was claiming that the "Alpha Course" was his biggest challenge in life. So he must really be a fake survivalist if a spot of philosophical thinking and soul-searching gets him in a sweat.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    I normally like it but the 2 extremes of groups is really irritating, there are no "middle people" just lazy scum or patronising self important knobheads.

The GP woman last week was definitely edited to be more annoying, as no doubt the other group were this week.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited April 2018
    Chris777 said:
    They are all scratting around in the dirt for a maggot to eat, while "Bear" is high stepping around the residents lounge, swilling champagne and fine dining in 5 star luxury, he has already been rumbled for this before, he's a fraud, and if I'm honest a bit of a twatt.
    He was also the youngest Brit to ever climb Everest & survive...
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    It’s all very contrived but seems to reflect a fast growing trend the rich get richer and these days the poor don’t give a toss.

as said all selected and heavily edited to reflect a certain view point.