Paypal Gift question please

What's Hot
thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2809
If a buyer makes a payment by Paypal Gift are they able to reverse it/claw back in any way?  I read somewhere they can't through Paypal but can do so by raising a dispute through their bank.  Does anyone have any experience of this or know if this is the case, or indeed whether they can through Paypal?

Many thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9615
    No mate, no protection at all with PPG
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited April 2018
    Sorry buddy but that’s wrong 

If the buyer uses a credit card as the payment source there have been instances of chargebacks made via the credit card company when the buyer says his account was hacked etc 

Easy to do if they’ve used a VPN as can’t be tracked to their home computer. There are also ways of doing it using your phone and 4G

Yes it’s rare but it can be done using that method.  If your funds are either paypal funds or debit card/ bank account then they can’t do it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    I have a question about it too:

Why do people call it "PayPal Gift" when it's actually "Friends and Family"?
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2809
    Sorry buddy but that’s wrong 

If the buyer uses a credit card as the payment source there have been instances of chargebacks made via the credit card company when the buyer says his account was hacked etc 

Easy to do if they’ve used a VPN as can’t be tracked to their home computer. There are also ways of doing it using your phone and 4G

Yes it’s rare but it can be done using that method.  If your funds are either paypal funds or debit card/ bank account then they can’t do it 
    Hmmm.  Thanks, this is what I was wondering.  What's a VPN please?  Do you know can I find out if I buyer has used his credit card/VPN/Phone.  At the moment the funds are in my a/c and no fees have been taken off by Paypal, so I'm assuming it's been done Paypal gift/F&F (as I asked)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    It sounds as if you're very wary of your buyer @thebreeze.

If there's some reasonable basis for that wariness, it might be better to trust your instincts ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited April 2018
    Philtre said:

Because it was called PayPal gift for many, many years until it was changed fairly recently (in the grand scheme of PayPal's existence)
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2809
    TTony said:
    It sounds as if you're very wary of your buyer @thebreeze.

If there's some reasonable basis for that wariness, it might be better to trust your instincts ...
    This is very good advice @TTony, thank you.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    underdog said:
    Philtre said:

Because it was called PayPal gift for many, many years and until it was changed fairly recently (in the grand scheme of PayPal's existence)
    Ta!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9615
    @thebreeze - if you have any doubts mate, or a gut feeling, don't do the deal...

Personally asa buyer, if I'm dealing with someone new on here (or anywhere), I'll full fat Paypal.