Someone lent me an orange rocker 30 combo for rehearsal tonight, reckon I fancy buying an orange now

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    I liked the rocker 30 but it has no loop so no way to get a proper level boost for solos so it didn't stay long
    And this was @riffpowers main gripe with the jcm800
    Yes that's right . Can  I live with it ? Dunno . 
    Definitely try the Engl ironball, all the flexibility you're looking for and sounds fantastic 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    I liked the rocker 30 but it has no loop so no way to get a proper level boost for solos so it didn't stay long
    And this was @riffpowers main gripe with the jcm800
    Yes that's right . Can  I live with it ? Dunno . 
    Definitely try the Engl ironball, all the flexibility you're looking for and sounds fantastic 
    Juts had a look online at the spec, looks great.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    well it looks like the latest Rocker 32 has a FX loop, the original one i had didn't, but it's a great sounding amp

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    ThorpyFX said:
    I have both the rocker 15 and the rocker 32. The 15 has been used as a home practice amp and a loud gigging amp/ demo amp. The 32 sounds just the same but with a lot more volume. I really like both a lot. I truly believe that the rocker 15 is one of the best lower wattage combos available today. 
    I'm very much a learner and only play at home, but I managed to get myself a Rocker 15 last year and I absolutely love it. Fantastic amp.
  • BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 228
    I have had an eye on the Rocker 15 terror which came out at the start of the year. Every demo and review I have seen has been very positive. Rob Chapman did a blindfold test against some other amps that cost around the same price and it came out on top.

The one thing putting me off is the lack of eq on the clean channel. I will have to try one with a couple of different guitars just to see if thats an issue. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    My friend is in a 2 guitar band, he plays lead through an orange with a Marshall (I think it's a JVM) with the mids scooped and the other guitarist plays rhythm through a Rocker 30 where it's all just mids.

Their music is pretty unconventional, my friend doesn't really play much below the 20th fret.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    I have the head, amazing amps! Always struggled balancing the channels when going into a PA - the dirty channel gets loud a bit too quickly. Never missed the EQ on clean, I too found the clean channel takes any pedal you can throw at it like a champion, but the dirty channel is a bit fussy. Just a simple great sounding workhorse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I've had the old rocker 30 amp, and loved it, one of favourite amps. But, i wouldn't compare it to the new Rocker 15/32's...the old one was a very simple amp and EL34's...the new ones have a fair few features and EL84's...so could sound very different especially at louder volumes when the EL84's start to really make their impact to tones. Also...rockaverbs are completely different beast all together. 

Of all the other modern Orange amps, the Thunderverb is the best I've owned and tried. The way they have the channels set up - as in Channel A for clean and Channel B for dirt is completely wrong to me...i use it the opposite way and get much better tones...unless you like more modern metal tones from high gain channel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    I played a solid state orange crush last night, and I thought that sounded great too!!

I reckon I'm gonna get an orange. 

SO the question is -

Rocker 30 head  (one for sale within an hours drive from me, i like dthe combo, maybe I can cope with no lead boost)
    Dual terror head (loved my tt15hw, played one on tour last year, and I'd have a solo boost channel)

or 

Tiny terror HW (had one before and loved it) 
    Rocker 15 terror (maybe the FX loop and more EQ might make it more flexible with a solo boost??)

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I played a solid state orange crush last night, and I thought that sounded great too!!

I reckon I'm gonna get an orange. 

SO the question is -

Rocker 30 head  (one for sale within an hours drive from me, i like dthe combo, maybe I can cope with no lead boost)
    Dual terror head (loved my tt15hw, played one on tour last year, and I'd have a solo boost channel)

or 

Tiny terror HW (had one before and loved it) 
    Rocker 15 terror (maybe the FX loop and more EQ might make it more flexible with a solo boost??)

For a man that's spent forever complaining that there's no lead boost on the JCM800 I would try the Rocker 15 Terror.  Still say the ENGL ;)