Why do we have GAS for different Amps !!!

What's Hot
sweepysweepy Frets: 4221
Didn't last long, I have the 100w Fender Supersonic, awesome amp, but as I am now realistically not going to gig anymore I really fancy a good low wattage head, bloody typical. Time to see whats out there I suppose.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73141
    Don't sell the Supersonic until you find something that sounds as good at low volume. Just because it's 100W doesn't mean it won't sound great turned down.

There is a reason why I still use a Mesa Trem-o-verb even though I only play at home these days.

You're not going to be able to crank up a "low wattage" amp at home anyway - or not unless you're talking about 1W or lower.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    ICBM said:

You're not going to be able to crank up a "low wattage" amp at home anyway - or not unless you're talking about 1W or lower.
    you might even need an attenuator with that........... I did with the Blackstar HT1................. its all too mushy anyway.

A big(ger) amp, just warming up, with pedals is a far nicer sound.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4221
    I know , used to have a Hot Plate with my Mk4 Boogie , they just don't sound right to me, quite like the look of the H&K Grandmeister, have to see what turns up, it might end up going tbh.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    I use my Badger 30 and my 5150iii in the house without any drama.

Great amps that sound good at any volume. I don't even bother with the power scaling in the Badger.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

I probably will end up selling it and getting something like a Mesa TA or H&K Grandmeister, ah well ;)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    We have GAS for different amps because different amps do different things, and have different capabilities. What's right for a blues gig might not suit a hard rock gig, or playing in church (if that's your bag). Similar reasons to why we GAS for different kinds of guitars.

btw I have a confession to make. I have used the GAS acronym as a verb, despite posts in other threads deprecating precisely that behaviour. I'm not an american, honest.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    maybe just get a smaller supersonic like the 22?
    still loud enough for small gigs or could be miced up for bigger if required but small enough to use in the house :)
    I fancy a smaller amp head as I have a very sweet custom 4x10 cab and already have a 22w 1x12 valve combo .
    The H&K seems a nice bet for recording, but the last time i tried the Mesa TA out I loved it with my 335, oh dear ;)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2181
    I don't even gig, and yet I still think hmm I fancy a blackface or a Marshall. The Mesa TA does look very attractive though! I guess its just the need to try something different or for a bit of variety every now and then. Hence the reason I have 3-4 guitars, when really one would do :P
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    edited March 2014
    I'd keep hold the SS100... somehow I don't think this will be in fender's catalogue for long. Is a great amp full of tones and interesting tecnology. It's only one downside - just too heavy.

I have the SS60 and I never search for tone at higher volume - it sounds good whatever... is heavy too mind you...

Here is a great vid of a SS60 at max vol!!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I neeed a Blackface Twin for my Rhodes stage piano
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 371
    I think I GAS for amps 'cause I lack skill and musicality in my playing and think that a hip amp will cure that...
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    edited March 2014
    I just want a spanky good clean. Has to be fender for me, and only one amp.
    I have no need for multiples, I would jut stick to my favourite.

Pedals can do the rest

and 100w can be played quietly and still sound great
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited March 2014
    I like buying amps a lot, I just like having them around and I like having different sounds.Modellers, as much fun as they are, just as aren't the same. They don't sound as good and they don't look as good. I like amps like other people like guitars. I only have two amps right now but  would like at least another two. I really would like an MJW Goldstar SS and another small wattage amp of some description.